Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Poly leaders" are handy...........

Default "Poly leaders" are handy...........

Rio and Airflo make special sinking leaders that come in different lengths and sink-rates now.

They usually come in 5, 10 and 15 foot lengths with a welded loop on one end and a short mono butt section on the other.

The come in floating, clear slow sinking and then several faster sink rates.

They are very popular with the two-handed fly fishers but anyone can take advantage of their usefulness.

For single handed Steelheading with a full floating line you could get a couple 10' sinking leaders. One in 10' type 3 and another in 10' type 6 sink-rate for getting you fly down.

Most of them have a short mono butt section so you could just loop on 2-3 feet of 2x fluorocarbon tippet and tie on your fly.

Many are using these for trout fishing as well.

Naturally, we have a large selection of these at the shop.

Anyone here using them?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've been using them for years now. They are a great help when you need to go deeper and they cast really well. Some guys use only a floating line and then simply attach one of those poly leaders so they can cut through the faster surface layer. I recommend trying them out.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have a full set of 5' leaders that I've been using on lakes, mostly to match the sink rate of my main line.

Question: Since the sinking leaders are colored (grey), and I no longer have a 7' or 9' clear leader, do I need to tie on a 10' tippet beyond the poly leader to prevent spookage?

_SHig

I used only about 5-6 feet of tippet/leader when we went out a few weeks ago. No Heenan? Jarrett

Quote Originally Posted by jblack View Post
    I used only about 5-6 feet of tippet/leader when we went out a few weeks ago. No Heenan? Jarrett
    Kid's sick...

Yeah, that's what I've used as well, but wondering if it helps to go longer.

Funny thing is that the line itself (SA Type I) is a grass green so if that doesn't spook them stripping through their zone, not sure what could.

Of course catching planters is different from catching more "experienced" fish.

_SHig

Wink Visibility....???

If you're adding 10' of tippet to your poly leader because it may be visible to the fish, why not just add a 10' flouro/mono leader to your fly line You might be over thinking this....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Nah, the poly leader is there to either sink the tip of the floating line and/or to help turn over the tippet and fly.

There is a difference between a 9' tapered (mono or fluoro) leader plus 3' of tippet vs. a 5' poly leader (sink) plus a 7' tippet with regards to lining a fish or not...

_SHig

Most are using sinking 'Poly' leaders on the end of floating lines for swinging wet flies for trout and Steelhead.

Kind of like a quicky sink-tip.

I am sure there will be some other applications.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wink Visibility Redux...

So Shig,.... What's the difference between a visible poly leader and visible sink tip Either one will take your line/fly down.... Seems to me that 10' of level tippet material (mentioned in your original post) probably isn't going to turn a fly over better than a tapered leader with a shorter tippet, regardless of what's its attached to.

Also, I'm not convinced that, "There is a difference between a 9' tapered (mono or fluoro) leader plus 3' of tippet vs. a 5' poly leader (sink) plus a 7' tippet with regards to lining a fish or not..."

To each his own.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    So Shig,.... What's the difference between a visible poly leader and visible sink tip Either one will take your line/fly down.... Seems to me that 10' of level tippet material (mentioned in your original post) probably isn't going to turn a fly over better than a tapered leader with a shorter tippet, regardless of what's its attached to.

Also, I'm not convinced that, "There is a difference between a 9' tapered (mono or fluoro) leader plus 3' of tippet vs. a 5' poly leader (sink) plus a 7' tippet with regards to lining a fish or not..."

To each his own.
    I guess I'm confused as well. Are you saying that in a lake situation when casting a sinking line, it's of no advantage to use a sinking poly leader (matched to your line type)?

I've heard it suggested that when chironomid or deep nymphing you use a floating poly leader, indicator, long leader. Why this poly leader?

I'm still trying to get a feel for all this...

Too many toys!

_SHig