Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel "hardness"

Default Reel "hardness"

I hope this question makes some sense. Most machined fly reels are advertised with machined 6xxx aircraft aluminum along with a type-xxx hard anodizing. My question is whether these numbers or designations provide an indication of the reels ability to withstand nicks and bumps? Occaisionally someone will make a fine reel from a mechanical and drag standpoint, but it just won't "last" from a visual standpoint, showing every nick and bruise. Certainly not an issue for Tibors, Abels etc. Rather, the long discontinued Old Florida reels come to mind.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

John -

Yes . Take the type 3 anodizing found on a TFO Hayden reel - I've taken a sharp drywall screw and dragged it across the frame w/ moderate pressure . Not a single mark on it .

From what I understand .... type 3 anodizing (done correctly) will turn the aluminum a dark gray , so a colored dye will not take . I could give a squirt about what color a reel is , I just want them to hold up (no dings , boat-rash , etc. .) and WORK when needed !!

That would be ALL the time ......

David

The type 3 anodizing doesn't lend itself to rich colors so not everyone uses it.

Besides the Hayden reels I believe the Lamson/Waterworks are type 3.

One thing that makes reels less apt to bend when dropped or fallen on is more mass. These reels are usually heavier but more durable.

There have been some really thin, light reels made that just are not practical.

I guess the best way is to machine a reel very selectively to get the weight out without getting it too thin. Maybe like a Galvan 'Torque'?

Then a harder alloy must be good. For years some companies use soft alloy so their machining is faster and their tooling lasts longer. The spools and frames on these reel bend easily and screws strip out too. STH from Argentina did use soft alloy years ago and we had lots of failures related to that fact.

Heavier reels like the Hayden, Abel, Bill Pate, Fin-nor and Tibor are pretty bomb proof but not as popular today on the lighter graphite rods for the masses.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have a Waterworks reel with type 3 and it is durable but the surface turns into a ceramic kind of texture which can be marked up but not dinged, nicked or easily bent. I used some rubber "reel-grippers" on line winders and since the rubber was heavily used it left marks that I have not been able to completely remove but the integrity of the reel is just fine.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Smile

No simple answer for this one. People want all the good qualities in a reel material, high strength, tough, lightweight, and attractive. There are many grades of extruded aluminum bar stock for reel makers to choose from. These seem to be in favor now days, over precision castings, that is. Aluminum alloys, their composition and qualities vary widely, and rightly so, for some are designed for high strength, and durability, while others are aimed toward say, weldability and surface finish, or chemical resistance. For some applications ductility is desired while others may require rigidity and light weight. And some alloys of aluminum are quite heavy compared to others. Machinability is a consideration as well, especially where elaborate cutting operations are routine. But generally, modern cutting tools easily overcome the tougher alloys. Heat treating is an important factor when considering scuff and scratch resistance. Some alloys can be successfully hardened to T-6 condition, which rates in the high 50's on the rockwell C scale. and Anodizing offers additional surface hardness where heat treatment is not an option. I don't worry much about scratching the finish on my reels, I do worry about breaking the frame in a fall, I can straighten a bent reel stream side and continue fishing, so ductility is high on my list.

Wink Ductility....????

HC,.... Thanks for all of that info. Good insights. Now I can identify what materials I want in a reel when making up my list of needs/wants.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

H.C.
    Many reel companies use what they call aircraft grade 6011 alum. Are there different grades among this group of alum.?
    I believe that Charlton's Mako is also #3 coating. I know they go through a lot of work to get their reels up to their fine finish.
    Thanks,
    Terrly

I don't know off hand what 6011 grade alloy is used for or why, there are just too many AL alloys to keep track of. I suggest looking first at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumini...rospace_alloys

Then draw your own conclusions about it. I suspect its going to lightweight, strong, and having a high resistance to stress fracture. Just my .02cents

I used to work at McClellan AFB at a research reactor that specialized in neutorn radiography of aircraft parts. The most common aluminum alloy used in aircraft was 6061. If I had to choose a material for a reel, I'd vote for titanium primarily because of its strenght to weight ratio. The major structural components of F-22's are made out of titanium. Jeff C.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    I used to work at McClellan AFB at a research reactor that specialized in neutorn radiography of aircraft parts. The most common aluminum alloy used in aircraft was 6061. If I had to choose a material for a reel, I'd vote for titanium primarily because of its strenght to weight ratio. The major structural components of F-22's are made out of titanium. Jeff C.
    Wouldn't we all! Can you imagine the price tag on a titanium reel! Ouch! I'm sure someone out there has done it.

Cheers
    FISH HARD OR GO HOME