Thread: Delta 9-28-08

Default Delta 9-28-08

Flyfished the Delta from 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 this morning out of the inflatable kayak. Beautiful weather and was pretty calm until the last hour when the breeze kicked up a bit.

Tossed a size 2 green/yellow deerhair diver up against a bank lined with tules, boulders, pipes, trees, laydowns, etc. for the 1st 1 1/2 hours and got topwater hits on a fairly regular basis. Ended up picking up a few:

This was a pretty thick, blocky-shaped fish and put up a nice tussle on my 7wt. If you look at the background of the photo above, you'll notice all that stuff on the water surface -- she nailed my bug on the 1st pop soon after I cast it right next to that stuff. Always fun when a fish confirms she's where you expected her to be.

I spent the last hour tossing a chartreuse/white Clouser, hoping to pick up a striper if there were any in the area. Unfortunately, didn't see any signs of 'em and, alas, didn't hook any either.

Ah well, it was still a fun session! It's a great time to be out there right now with the nice weather and bass looking up.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Awright Mike. Geez, I was going into Bass withdrawals here. Nice seeing a chunky fish like that on a fly.
    It's a good thing you never let your fly box out of your sight down at Lundborg's. There were a couple of shifty eyed types there who might have made a grab at it. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

It's a good thing you never let your fly box out of your sight down at Lundborg's. There were a couple of shifty eyed types there who might have made a grab at it. Ed
    My streamer box disappeared from there when I was packing my 'toon....

I recognize that hand! Nice bass Mike. Are you using a weed guarded fly?

How is the inflatable holding up?

Later...

Thom

erhetta, sorry to hear you lost your streamer box. I'm certain it wasn't anyone there for the Bugfest, as none of the fellas who were there would do something like that.

Thom, yes, I tie all my diver flies with mono weedguards. The kayak is holding up ok -- I've got about 4 patches on it but the plastic is still fairly pliable, so I think it will last a bit longer. If I'm lucky, I might be able to get one more season out of it.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.