Thread: Delta LMB....on top.

Default Delta LMB....on top.

The plan was to do some striper fishing in one of my favorite South Delta sloughs. On the water at 0700 and first thing I see are surface boils tight to the weed lines. Well, can't pass up feeding fish so I put on a 2/0 yellow gurgler on the 8 wt. (always bring a spare rod with a floating line!). Right away I'm into some very decent LMBs and am getting lots of blow ups. I head over to an island tule point that I always wanted to try top water and second cast gets nailed hard and fast. I first thought it was a good striper because this fish pulled line and stayed deep. When the fish finally jumps I see it is a big LMB. A very big LMB! No boga so I grip the lip and guess real close to double digits. Two quick photos with the phone camera and released to live on. Forgot all about striper fishing and spent the next 7 hours bass fishing on top. Had steady action during all that time including lots of misses. All on that yellow gurgler. Probably the best day of bass fishing I've ever had. I always say make plans but don't plan on the outcome. Water temp was 71-72 degrees, no wind early but the wind did blow as the day went on. I remember it was about this time last year when I caught an 8 lb. LMB on a clouser while striper fishing so I guess now is good time to get out there.

Nothing finer than LMB busting on top water action. Especially double digit LMB, good job.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Wow, that's awesome Steve! I agree, it's a great time to get out there, especially since it won't be too long before water temps start plummeting with the onset of winter. Just out of curiosity, were you fishing out of a motored boat? Pontoon? Kayak?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike, I was fishing out of my boat, an older 15 1/2 foot tri-hull that I modified with a casting deck up front. I am without a trolling motor right now so I usually anchor a good distance from my target area. Actually I seem to have better luck w/o the trolling motor as it forces me to really concentrate in an area before I move. I wish I was able to get out today, this looks like fishing weather.

Steve