Thread: Alaska Pebble Mine

Default Alaska Pebble Mine

I have to give a speech in my public speaking class coming up in the couple months on a topic that is controversial. I chose the Pebble Mine controversy for my speech and was wondering if anyone knows where to get some good info.

Default Pebble Mine

If you "google" search, Proposed Pebble mine, Alaska, you'll find a bunch of info, pro/con and descriptions, etc. Should be a very good start for your paper. Good luck.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default recent NY Times article on Palin and Pebble Mine

Just ran across this article today. Guess I better get up to Bristol bay area soon before the Salmon run up there is history if Palin has her way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/us...1&ref=politics

Maybe you can use some of this information for your talk. Good luck.

Ffdoc
    "I am haunted by the waters"

Default another request

I was going to start my own thread, but this one is close so I will just try to piggyback. I am giving a presentation in a biology class about the effects of catch & release vs. catch & kill. I was wondering if anyone has read any good articles lately about survival rates. This board seems to be a good pool of knowledge.
    Thanks.
    Chuck

Default pebble mine article

fishinjohnny,
    There is a good article in the past issue of the e-magazine thisisfly (http://www.thisisfly.com/). If you look up back issues, #11, pg. 69. The article gives some solid numbers about the economy and environment. Obviously it only gives the con side of the story, but still good info.
    Chuck

Question C & R....

Ando,.... Try contacting Cal Trout. They have professional fisheries people on staff and probably have some info on that subject. DFG may have some info on this. Also, there's a couple of BB members that, undoubtedly, have some info on mortality rates as well.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Ando, Cool website.

Default thanks

Thanks Darian,
    I'll post a mini-synopsis in about a week.
    Chuck

Well it's over. In my opinion I made a fabulous speech with great info but since it's a public speaking class and I have a problem with staring at my note cards I only pulled off a "B" on this one. I'll get em next time. Thanks for all the info fellas. John Roe