Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitch's bobbin whirler

Hey OT,

I saw this post a while ago and did't really look at too closely. I perfer to stay old school if possible. But.......

That tool looks pretty cool for doing a particular function on some flies I tie. Specifically wrapping ostrich hearl arond a thread. I envision a few other things to use it for as well. I am not sure what you plan to use it for, but I do see a niche.

It would be a benefit for my application(s) provided I could make the hearl (or whatever else I would use) stick in the V of that hook. I am surprised thay don't have a teaser video on the web site. Maybe they do, but I only looked at it for a minute or two.

I smell a stocking stuffer.

MN

Hi Mike!

The tool came with an instructional DVD that shows how to easily make a herl rope and a lot of other applications. I've only played with it a couple of times. It's a fun tool to use and, in your hands, could work some real magic. In my hands, however, it's just a very good tool - no magic yet.

You know, you never got back to me on that spinning rod & reel that I offered to donate to you for the neighborhood delinquents you were helping. Just as well, a friend saw that post and begged me for the gear. He's still hasn't picked it up though.

Try looking here or surf the web. I'm still old school and sticking with it.

http://hatches.tv/play.php?vid=296

Jet

Default Bobbin Whirler site

If you can't find a dealer in your area that stocks the Bobbin Whirler you can purchase one at www.flytyingtool.net. You can also view the entire instructional dvd and see an article written by Al Beatty at www.hatchesmagazine.com. I know the tool looks strange at first but when I first started showing it to tyers they would commonly fire off an involuntary cuss word and then ask if they were available for sale yet. I have tied hundreds of dozens of flies with the Bobbin Whirler in the three years since I first came up with it. It is a real work horse tool, not just a gadget, and I am still finding new ways to tie with it. Thanks for the interest in the tool. Hope this helps.
    Mitch

Mitch,

Your invention is one of those rare items that causes (in me) a love-hate relationship. I love it because it's just a great tool, but hate it because I didn't think of it. Doh!

Thanks for sharing your inspiration with the rest of us. Is there anything else in the works?

OT,

I remember that thread about the neighborhood kids and fishing the cannal or some place like that. I think that was Troutnut, not me. I would have remembered trying to straighten out a few misguided youths, but I haven't done that since last baseball season. Glad to hear to tool works for you. I have it on a list of stocking stuffers for Santa to get me.

MN

I was looking for something else and found this old post...

I had to say I use the bobbin, and its great. Less wasted motion. And you cam do some pretty neat things with it tying wise. Its not a gimmick.

Question Bobbin....

I must be getting old. I believe the original question was about who sells the bobbin and the link provided was to the page at Wasatch that indicates it can be purchased from Wasatch.... I guess I'm missing something.... The humor was good tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

" The humor was good tho. "

I beg to differ, but I'll play.

A blind man enters a lesbian bar.
    Being blind he does not know the type of bar he has entered nor can he see the leers, odd looks, and stink eyes brought on by his presence.

He finds his way to a bar stool and orders a drink.
    After sitting there for a while, he yells to the bartender, "Hey, you want to hear a blonde joke?"

The bar immediately falls absolutely quiet.

In a very deep, husky voice, the woman next to him says, "Before you tell that joke, sir, you should know five things:

1 - The bartender is a blonde girl.

2 - The bouncer is a blonde gal.

3 - I'm a 6-foot tall, 200-pound blonde woman with a black belt in karate.

4 - The woman sitting next to me is blonde and is a professional weight lifter.

5 - The lady to your right is a blonde and is a professional wrestler.

Now think about it seriously, Mister. Do you still want to tell that joke?"

The blind man thinks for a second, shakes his head, and declares, "Nah, not if I'm going have to explain it five times."

Last edited by oldtrout; 03-24-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Thumbs up Humorous....

Yep!!! That was funny. Back to the question.... Were you able to buy the whizz bang bobbin If so, where and how do you like it
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown