Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater reel recommendation

Default reel for baja

Aloha Scott I would suggest the TFO 425 reel. I have used it on both 10 and 12wt rods, and just get the extra spool and you can use it on either rod. It has a carbon fiber disk drag and is pretty tough. It retails for $259.95. I do work for TFO and am biased, but it is a pretty good reel for heavy duty saltwater use. I used it down in baja last summer and had no problems, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Default Rentals

Carl,
    Dunno if you were kidding or not, but the rentals may not be a bad idea. Alot of folks I have talked to in the Orange County/San Diego area would like to try out some inshore saltwater fishing from skiffs, kayaks or like me float tubes, but don't really know what to buy, or which they should get, or if they would like it at all after the first time.

I do the inshore stuff, but all I have is a 8wt setup of a Crosscurrent rod and free Helios I picked up. My friends go to MX with Gary Bulla and asked me several times to go, but I don't want to spend $800 an outfit not to like it, or just use it once. I'm setup for freshwater, but to get setup with some 10wt and 12wt rods/reels is a chunk of change. It may be something to think about

Perry
    So Many Streams, So Little Time...

Default Re: reel for baja

Quote Originally Posted by mems
    Aloha Scott I would suggest the TFO 425 reel. I have used it on both 10 and 12wt rods, and just get the extra spool and you can use it on either rod. It has a carbon fiber disk drag and is pretty tough. It retails for $259.95. I do work for TFO and am biased, but it is a pretty good reel for heavy duty saltwater use. I used it down in baja last summer and had no problems, Mems.

Aloha Ahiahi mems, I am a big fan of TFO, I was plannong on getting the TFO bluewater rods, so to have matching reel to go with it would be nice. Plus I really like TFO's return policy, they took care of me faster than I thought was possible. And if I can use it for both rods that is another good incentive.

mahalo
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

All kidding aside, I also think this idea is huge. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I've rented rods for the past 4 years. A couple years ago, I had all 6 of my rental rods broken by the time my clinics were finished. No problem, I send them back and get them replaced. I usually take 10 rods down with me and a load of fly lines.
    Some of my reels are Tibors but I'm mainly using the Bauer's MX 4 & 5's.

Jay

The rental idea sounds like a great idea...it would be nice to know that should the airlines lose my rods that I have an alternative...or if I break all the rods I have...

Aside from that I have to concur with Carl that tropical fishing will test your equipment to the max. IMHO trips like this are not the place to try to use bargain equipment. $100-$200 reels are fine for stripers and blues but not for pelagics and southern tropical fish. People have mentioned sub $200 reels here and I don't want to be the party crasher but pretty much the majority of horror stories I've heard from guides I use involve reels in that price range and some of the ones mentioned here were specifically noted by my guides. Reel spools falling off, frames bending, drags locking up or freespooling, these are some of the things that happen. I don't see the point in trying to save a couple of hundred bucks when I spend upwards of $10k a week on a trip...it's truly false economy IMHO. Even Mexico which is cheap as dirt ($1830 for Loreto next year for a week, plus $800 for plane tickets, times 2 for 2 ppl as I usually bring my wife fishing...that's $5,260 right there...getting a $300-$500 reel instead of a $100 reel for the reliability, performance and durability is easily worth it if you consider that you will use this reel for the rest of your life).

Default Rod Rentals

That is a great idea! I think I might try to use it at my new shop/job, Sportsman's Finest in Austin, TX. Also, if the rod breaks, it might be worth it to charge the customer the repair/replacement cost. If any one is looking for fine firearms, please give us a shout 512-263-1888. Ask for Brett. Thanks.

Any opinions on Tibor Riptide reels? I have never had one and might have an opportunity to get one at a good price.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Any Tibor or Abel "at a good price" is a buy. You should be able to get 275yds of gelspun on the riptide.

Scott

If you can get a tibor riptide at a good price, dont even think twice...whether you need a reel or not. Its money in the bank.

Jay