Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saltwater reel recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V
    Any opinions on Tibor Riptide reels? I have never had one and might have an opportunity to get one at a good price.
    Define "good price."

Ok I have decided to not go cheap on my 10 weight reel, I plan on investing on a good reel. I have one more question, what are your thouhgts on the Anti-reverse of the Abels. Is it just something else that can go wrong or is it a good idea to go with. I love the concept of not having that little handle spinning at 100 m.p.h. when I hook into a big fish. Does this mean that you can not palm the reel to assist in drag?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Anti-Reverse dirves

Scott,.... You're really gonna open up a can of worms on this subject. I asked the same question on Blanton's BB about 5 years ago and nearly started a war.

I have several direct drive reels and an Abel, Super 12, Anti-Reverse reel for saltwater and use it on a Cam Sigler, 12 weight rod. I chose anti-reverse drive over direct drive for the same reason you stated. I have some arthritis in my hands and frequently get my knuckles rapped on my direct drive reels. It's painful. I figured that when fishing for larger fish, I would use the Abel to reduce the amount of pain involved in landing larger pelagics. Still feel that way. I'm able to palm the spool when I feel it's necessary but, generally, don't.

Of all of the objections I've heard raised against anti-reverse drive reels, the most valid (IMHO) were that they are heavier than direct drive reels and line can be taken out while you're reeling in without your knowledge unless you're watching the reel or don't have a clicker that sounds when the fish is taking line. The former is an issue when making many casts out of a panga all day. The latter is of no concern to me.

As to more parts to maintain, it's true. However, I've not found that it takes any more effort to clean/maintain anti-reverse drive than the direct drives. IMHO, all of this is easily overcome.

Most of the guys who object to using anti-reverse drive fly reels wouldn't hesitate to use an anti-reverse, multiplier, casting reel....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Everyone has an opinion on a/r reels...Darian's reasons for using a/r is excellent and one I've never considered. I've always used dd and I've tried a/r but did not like them at all (and although I use a/r multiplying casting reels, it's only because that's what's out there...I personally detest multiplying reels because one of the reasons I like fly fishing *is* the direct drive reels that I think gives me more of the feel of being connected directly to the fish - it's my feeling that the gears isolate me from that feel of the fish). I've only gotten my knuckles rapped once ever in my life, and never again since then...it's not difficult to avoid getting them rapped. Once you learn to avoid it it's instinctive and I can't imagine I'd ever get my knuckles rapped again unless I was being stupid. However, if you like the idea of an a/r reel by all means get it...I tried one before I decided against getting one. If you can you should try one out otherwise you'll have an expensive reel you don't like.

I also like dd reels better than a/r because when I'm cranking on the handle I know I'm taking in line. An a/r (because of the necessary light drag settings with typical fly rod tippets) cannot do that at all unless you are talking dual mode reels like Henschel.

Getting your fingers knocked while fly fishing for big game is just part of the game. I would sure like to know formula1's secret for avoiding it. I have caught a lot of big critters on flies over the last 20 years and it still happens sometimes. When youve got a big "green" fish boatside and your really puting the heat on and the fish suddenly surges, it just happens.
    I also dont think light tippets are part of the equation in the type of scenario scott is considering. Baja fishing is about slug fests and anything can happen.

I would think the biggest consideration is weight, like darian said. Tho Formula1 makes an excellent point, thats a lot of money for something your not sure you want. I love direct drive reels, while you can get knocked around by em a bit, that is not a consideration for me. The chances of getting hurt by it are pretty slim if you know what your doing.

I'm glad to hear you are going to invest in a great reel, you wont be sorry. The nice thing about the size reel youre talking about is it will serve you in baja and will be a nice fit on a switch/spey rod

Jay

After lots of reading and listening to everyones great advice my choices are down to an Abel Big Game or a Ross Momentum for my 10 weight. After that it will be a simple matter of picking which line to use.

Thanks to everyone for the input, don;t stop kepp throwing suggestions and experiences at me.

Carl,
    which rod do you find you used the most, a 10 or 12 weight. I am getting both weights but was just wondering.

Thanks

I have actually been to Loreto, but I was about 10 at the time. I do remember going out in a panga but I do no recall me catching anything. But I do remember eating fresh dorado steaks on the beach. We stayed in Puerto Escondid back when the only thing there was the miltary lookout built into the side of the cliff. We drove down in rv's and stayed for 2 or so weeks. As you can imagine I am very excited about going.

I am lucky that my wife is letting me go, because we usually vaction together and this will be a big trip without her. She gets to pick the next trip, hopefully there will be water close.

Just an update, I was able to get a used Abel 4.5 with a Windcutter line that comes with a floating, type 3, and type 6 shooting head at really good price. This will be mated to a Redington 12 weight rod. Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I plan on getting a 10 weight outfit also in the next couple of months.