Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater reel recommendation

Default Saltwater reel recommendation

This coming May I will be going on my first saltwater trip to La Paz. I will be taking a 10 weight and a 12 weight. I need recommendations on reels, I do not have alot to spend, but I am hoping to be able to get a descent reel. I would prefer to stay in the less than $200 range if possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for any info provided.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

thanks for the info Carl, I found an Abel X-Stream 10-11-12 for $299, is that a good price and will the reel hold up. I would use that one on a 10 weight rod.

The Orvis mid arbor at $119 will handle anything Mexico throws at it. Truly a great reel for the salt.

If you want a large arbor. The Tempest reel being sold by Sea Level Fly fishing is what I use. Its worked flawless on 4 trips to the salt.

Thanks Lucky, I am going in to see Bill possibly tomorrow and he is going to hook me up, I know he carries the Orvis line.

You might also look at the Ross CLA though I think that is $250 to $290 depending on size.

For a bit less you might look at the Teton Tioga Mag-12LA. I have the smaller 10 as a spey reeel and used it fishing for tarpon at Tarpon Cay.

Default Saltwater Reels

Scott,.... Carl's suggestion is a good one. For an alternative, the Redington CDL is a very good, economical reel. I've been using the old Brakewaters (no longer made) and the newer CDL for 4 years now (in Baja) without problems. The older Brakewaters have a cork drag and the newer CDL has a synthetic drag. The models I've been using are the 9/10 and 11/12. You need something with the capacity to hold about 300 yards of 30# pound test dacron plus a full line or a running line, shooting head combo. You can always add capacity by switching to use Spectra or some other brand of super braid.

I've taken numbers of fish and up to 30 pounds on these reels, had a few on that were bigger but came unbuttoned, without fade or locking up in the drag systems.... All of these reels have an quick change spools; a feature that many of the others do not have. The Redington's of equal size are lighter in weight than the Abels. A factor in fatigue after making several hundred casts per day in breezy conditions from the bow of a rolling panga. An argument in favor of the Abels/Tibors, etc., is there durability and that the quick change feature is not necessarily a desirable one. That will have to be your choice. I own an Abel reel, too, and rarely fish it unless I'm targeting Marlin or Sails. I feel that for most of the fishing you'll encounter, on Jay's trip, the Redingtons or a comparable brand reel would serve you well....

Hope this helps....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Scott,

You don't need to buy a reel unless you want to spend the green backs.

I'll have reels available for you to use. I try to make my trips affordable to all my clients. I also rent rods for $100.00 per week.

I would suggest attending the in-store clinic that I will be doing at Kiene's.
    The date hasn't been set yet, gotta get with Bill and select a date.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi
    Scott,

You don't need to buy a reel unless you want to spend the green backs.

I'll have reels available for you to use. I try to make my trips affordable to all my clients. I also rent rods for $100.00 per week.

I would suggest attending the in-store clinic that I will be doing at Kiene's.
    The date hasn't been set yet, gotta get with Bill and select a date.

Jay
    I'll be at the clinic for sure. And I will definetly be hittnig you up for a reel, I do plan on getting my own rods for sure, and possibly atleast one reel.

Did you get my email about the flies?

Got it - thanks

Jay

That's a huge idea. How many people over the years had to invest thousands of dollars for rods and reels they'll only use once in their lives. Good one Jay. And Carl, jump on it, it's a win win. You guys are pushing me closer and closer, better knock it off before I crack.

I'm serious, someday you guys will be wondering," what ever happened to that guy with all the unfunny jokes that only he got? Last I remember he went to Mexico/B.C./Alaska to fish".

Don't push me man. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.