Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower Trinity River is slow..............

The dead zone I referred to has been linked to the decay of algae in the rivers washing out to sea. As the algae decays in the river the bacteria that break it down use up all the available oxygen. Until the ocean currents shift near winter and mix up the water, the ocean water surrounding the river mouth is hypoxic, or low on oxygen.

In South America there is only one dead zone, and it occurs near the mouth of the only river whose farmland is fertilized by chemical fertilizers.

There are over 400 identified dead zones in the world and they almost only occur at the mouths of rivers whose farmlands are fertilized by chemical fertilizers.

Ever been to putah creek? It isnt called Green River by the locals for no reason.

I would assume the salmon want to stay away. Apparently you can watch creatures flee the hypoxic water.

Hey Adam, you don't have to invite me along, Jason is a guide now!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

I haven't heard anything about how the weekend went, but the lower section (Del Loma to Willow Creek) was a goast town last Thursday. We saw maybe two or three spin casters, no boats and no fish. Guys I talked to up by the fly water said they heard someone caught an adult last Tuesday near Junction City and that some half pounders were in the Willow Creek area. There's supposed to be a little rain on Friday--maybe that will get them going. -Rob