Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite breathable raincoat for wading?

Simms Rivertek Wading Jacket. Gore Tex. May be a discontinued model now?, but it is the real deal. Don't skimp on a rain coat!

I get to fish in the rain a lot.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

I have an Orvis tailwater xt wading jacket that I love. Its has loads of pockets, including two fleece lined hand warming pockets...very handy when you forget your gloves. Ive fished The Dream Stream in the middle of winter in with only a tee-shirt and light fleece underneath and I was toasty.
    "Always in the riffle"

Default wading jacket

I have several jackets that I wear for wet and wet/cold. If I'm going to be wading a lot, I use a Hodgman jacket that I picked up at Dragonfly in Weaverville. It's a little light on pockets, but has a set of velcro tabs and snaps that allow you to make it a shorty wading jacket or a long jacket. I also have a Helly Hansen gore tex raincoat that is fabulous for wet stuff but a little long for wading, but perfect for use in a boat or a pontoon. The other options are my Cabela's packable camouflage jacket, short enough to use for a wading jacket or a heavy duty hunting parka, both gore tex. I also have an REI shorty lightweight gore tex shell which can be used for layering in moderate conditions when it's wet, and it's light and crushable enough, comes with it's own little stuff bag and can be tucked into the vest or a large shirt pocket. The Hodgman is the best all around bet, but they cut their outerwear large. My Hodgman jacket is a medium and I wear XL normally. Keep in mind that you want one or more handwarmer pockets for really cold weather. To protect the jacket, I slip the handwarmers into old socks before putting them into a jacket pocket.
    do it with a long rod and a gentle touch.

Default water proof

Gore-Tex Eddie Bauer I bought at the outlet store in Vacaville on my way to the Trinity a few years ago. It was cheep but kinda goofy looking and the velcro wrist loops catch my fly line sometimes but it keeps me dry and warm. Next will be a Simms because I like the company. I've been happy with everything else that I have purchased from them. Paul

gsdad,
    I love that picture. The fish, of course, is amazing, but it's your expression that I really like. It says it all--why we do what we do.
    Good fishing,
    Kurt

Default Change in Simms Classic Guide jacket

I see where they are changing the Classic Guide jacket for 2009. Does anyone know what is changing? Should I go for a 2008 model as they are on sale now or are the improvements worth the waiting and extra $$?

I have had a Simms Guide Classic jacket now for many years and just love it. I really like the design of the arm cuffs, as in heavy rain one does not get water running down the arms. My jacket has had several trips to Alaska, and many winter steelhead trips. It has held up extremely well. I do not know how they can improve on the design of the original jacket. mike

I had an original Simms before the guide jacket came out and it has lasted 15 years but the tape is coming apart so I broke down and got their G4 which is a very nice jacket and has kept me dry and warm in a couple of downpours.

I may send back my original to see if they can re-tape the seams. They say maybe as all the oils can cause problems in re-taping

I started out in the Mid 1990's with the Patagonia SST. I love that jacket and still own it. My wife got me a Simms Guide jacket a couple of years ago. She got the SST. I just upgraded her to a Simms jacket this year and immediatly repo'd the SST for my use again.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!