Thread: They Just keep Comin'

Default They Just keep Comin'

This past week has seen some incredible action on the local rivers and I'm glad to say they seem to just keep on coming. The summer bite is well known but not too many boats are out chasing those linesides. Today for example I was on the water around 5:30 AM and only saw one other boat( who was a friend of mine) until we both came in for lunch around 11:30AM.

Last week the fishing was very good on the Sac with clear green water very much like the American. The temp averaged 72 degrees. There were a few boats out on Saturday and most caught plenty of fish. My boss, Bob Boucke and one of our guides took fifteen stripers up to twenty pounds in only a few hours Saturday AM.

Saturday afternoon three sea lions showed up near the Meridiam bridge and things changed fast. Some of my friends took fish on Sunday but they were very scattered.

Today I was on the water from dawn to dark and found the fish to be very scattered and nothing like last week. Also, the water on the Sac has come up almost a foot and the temperature has dropped to 68 degrees. This may not seem like a lot of difference but it does have some affect on their feeding habits. Also, the moon has been getting to about 3/4 full stage. This may mean that the stripers are feeding more at night and less during the day.

In any case, you just have to get out there and find them and hope they're hungry.

Today we ended up with several nice fish, one huge squawfish over ten pounds, and only one minor injury. Yep, even on calm days those 3/0's can land anywhere.
    TONY

I got to experience one of those 3/0 in my back last week. Just one of the many reasons I am glad I pinch my barbs.

Good going on the fish, that is a nice looking striper. Can you post a pic of that big squaw, I have never seen one that big.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

That hook in the back looks pretty grim. It'd be worse if you didn't have someone with you to full it out though. Glad to hear guys are out catching nice fish.
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt

Default They Just Keep On Coming

Hi Scott,

We get a lot of squawfish when chasing stripers but this one is by far the biggest we've ever seen.

If anyone is wondering where our salmon and steelhead smolt are going you might add this predator to the list. These things are in every river around here and are thriving beyond belief. Over on the Russian, F&G and the Ukiah Rod &Gun Club along with Longs Drug Stores actually had a bounty on them in an effort to get them out of the river.

TONY

Thanks for the pic, I see they get uglier the bigger they get.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Nice squawfish! My biggest was about 28" this year on the American. Are they in Shasta too? I recall in my youth seeing huge ones in the McCloud by the lake.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

People talk about squawfish like they're bad news, however, at least they belong here. They are a native naturally evolved salmonid predator.

Thanks Tony

I think you've got bigger Squawfish than we do on the Lower American River.

I would bet that the Stripers have a range of temperature they prefer so on the long Sacramento River they can go up or down stream all summer for the ultimate comfort.

I wonder how big they get?

I saw some swimming in the South Fork of the American River below Chili Bar that looked to be 20 pounds?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........