Thread: Smallmouth in Oregon

Default Smallmouth in Oregon

I just got back from the Big K on the South Umpqua and here are some of the results. The fly is an invention of mine that in Oregon is known as the Oregon DUCK. First fly I ever "invented" that actually works.

Those are two fish out of many caught and released. People who were counting fish (I don't) were giving numbers around 100 a day.

I fished the South Umpqua last August and had crazy numbers as well. You couldn't keep the fish off on every cast. But the local guides told me that was a big problem there, just way to many smallies taking over the river.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Over 10 years ago I floated that stretch which is a big loop with Al Perryman and we camped that night mid-way.

Early AM and late PM was great for top water with small/medium size light colored poppers. Mid-day you could use Clouser Minnows.

We caught 'tons' but none over 2 pounds. It was great.....

The Lower Umpqua River, John Day River and Lower Grand Ronde River all have great Smallmouth Bass fishing in the early summer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

There appears to be a different technique for catching the larger fish. Nymphing with a fly such as my Oregon DUCK seems to catch lots of small to medium size fish. Larger fish seem to key on crawfish patterns IF you can find a good one. Another technique for the larger fish seems to be stripping something that resembles the lampreys. I had some good success with that until I tore up the only decent pattern I had with me.

Man, that sounds great Richard, good for you! Some great looking fish you got there.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.