Thread: Trip Report: Tarpon Cay Lodge

Default Trip Report: Tarpon Cay Lodge

After entering back into reality I have had a chance to think about my adventures last week. In summary, WOW. This was my first tarpon trip and I consider it a huge success.

Tarpon Cay Lodge:

I went with Dan Blanton and Keith Kaneko and we all had a blast. At Tarpon Cay we hooked enough fish to put a cramp in my forearm! In three days I jumped 5 migratory poons, landed 2. If you have not yet fished for these spectacular fish, you must. The eats were unreal, these fish would EXPLODE on flies that were mere inches below the surface. The power that I felt is like nothing else I have every experienced.

We had a ton on fun chasing smaller tarpon in the creeks, it was like fishing your favorite beaver pond/small stream; only instead of a 4" brookie eating a dry fly, a supercharged, soon-to-be airborne, silver rocket ship tarpon comes flying out of the air. I could stay entertained for a lifetime hunting creek poons.

Later I will share my amazing time at Isla del Sabalo!

Here is a little guppy I landed in the waters of Tarpon Cay

Baby Tarpon- "mean baby"
    When in doubt, fish.

Good for you Ryan. Looks like you guys had a great trip. Where is the extreme jealousy emoticon? Now lets go get some stripes.

Great Report Ryan....That big un is sure a big un. Nice going. \/ \/

It was great running into you, Keith and Dan in the middle of the jungle down there. I know it was just a road side rest stop but It seemed very exotic and adventures especially with the heat, the jungle sounds and the armed solders every where.

That place is awesome. My group didn't fish for the migrating fish. Mostly by design, which was OK with me. I don't think I could handle any thing that big. The fish I did jump were officially baby tarpon and they were about all I could handle. I can't wait to go back. Ken has been hinting at a potential Oct 2009 date so I have already started to save for the trip. Keep me informed about future trips......Anne
    "So it goes"

Wonderful fish Ryan!! I fell in love with TCL the first time I went 2 years ago so had to go back again last year. While we found the migratory fish both years, they were quite a bit spookier last year.

Although they are incredible fish and the power you descirbe is unbelievable, I really do get a kick out of the "babies". You get alot more shots and don't have a big tug of war but can pretty quicky go on to another fish. I am still glad I got the shot at the bigger fish but next year I am headed to Sabalo to try different water and more babies though I understand that Marco has found the migratory fish here as well so better plan on packing the heavy gun as well as the 7 and 8 wts

Default Thanks guys!

It was an experience of a life time that is for sure. Yes Anne, it was crazy seeing you in the middle of Mayan country. I would have liked to have sat and listened to more stories but for some reason the Mexican truck stop didn't seam to work out

Rick, yea those babies are a kick. I agree that the constant action from the little tykes keeps us on our toes more that the big guys. On the other hand, there is nothing quite like getting your tail handed to you in paper bag quite like a Silver King. Dan Blanton has a shot of me missing a bow and all we can see is the tarpon at eye level with me, my rod in the air and the line is slack, it is a very telling shot.

All in all I feel fortunate to have been able to experience all that there is. I was even able to tour the town of San Felipe and see all that there is to see. Keith has some great shots of the town!

I will try to get a hold of these and post them up!

Well, thanks again everyone.

Ryan
    When in doubt, fish.