Thread: Joey's First Shad

Default Joey's First Shad

Jet and Joey showed up last night. They started fishing up high then Joey moved down below me. He got a grab (he said it was his first) and asked me for some tips. I give him some 8 lb mono for a leader since I think he had 15 lb Maxima on and told him to cast out as far as he could, let it swing and let it dangle at the end with some line jigging. Well, he hooked his first shad stripping his line in. Then he proceeded to catch 2 more on the dangle. I left when it started getting dark and Joey was still at it. Good work Joey!! I guess Jet will be driving from Lincoln a lot more.

Jeff C.

Great report Jeff
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Thanks Jeff

Joey was pretty bummed on our previous trip when I caught a couple and he was skunked. He never gave up and last night he caught all the fish and I only had one good grab. I think there is more to this Shad fishing when it's a little slow. Changing colors, leader lenghts and presentation. I'm glad he now has the first one under his belt. Now we can just go and relax and fish. He stayed up last night and tied up a dozen of the Creme Cycle's.
    We now have the Bloody Mary, Creme Cycle(Orange/white) and the Key Lime(green/white). Those Shad sure are a nice tug on the end of the line. I need to work on improving my catch rates. Thanks for helping Joey out last night.

Jet

All right Joey, Way to Go!!!!! =D> =D>
    A tip: fish a size 8 Wet Pinky for your fly!

Nicely spotted fish there Joey, nice going. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.