Thread: Have any of you fished for Wipers???

Default Have any of you fished for Wipers???

Moved to Fallon Nv. and I live about 15 minutes from lake Lahontan, I was curious if any of you have ever fished for (Wipers)? I was thinking about giving it a try but I am not sure what to use...Would they bite clousers or deceivers like the regular stripers do or would I use something else?

I haven't done it ..... YET -

Wipers eat the same stuff Stripes do , start w/ Olive or Chart over White Deceivers and Clousers on sinking heads .

I'm very keen to hear how you do with them !!

David

What the heck are "Wipers"

- Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Finsallaround
    What the heck are "Wipers"

They help take the water off your car window when it is raining.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

White Bass/Striped Bass hybrids , AKA Sunshine Bass .

They look like Whites (tall , compressed body) but run to 20+ Lbs. .

David

Read some info recently...

So David is correct for the most part but

Wiper = female striper + male white bass

Sunshine bass = Male Striper and female white bass

Least that's what the article said. Wipers are more common but some states have stocked sunshine bass. Apparently wipers can back cross to either parent as well but with some detrimental effects.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

They help take the water off your car window when it is raining.

That's funny Scott..... I thought being that they look very similar to stripers they may hit the same fly's ...I have a bunch of Clousers and Deceivers just waiting for them. I guess this is prime time for Wiper season out here. I guess it's time to put the old pontoon to use.

Fish em' like stripers. Ana res. had a bunch of them but I only fished it once with no luck. Damn good eating fish I hear and since they can't spawn whack em' over the head and cook them in a tempura batter.

Default Re: Have any of you fished for Wipers???

Quote Originally Posted by Digger0038
    Moved to Fallon Nv. and I live about 15 minutes from lake Lahontan, I was curious if any of you have ever fished for (Wipers)? I was thinking about giving it a try but I am not sure what to use...Would they bite clousers or deceivers like the regular stripers do or would I use something else?
    My son Cody and i have fished for Wipers ( striped bass/white bass hybrid ) in Willard bay here in Utah . They boil on shad just like striped bass do . We used a white Zonker and had some luck.

Vets , Thanks for your service !!
    http://www.flashdemo.net/gallery/wake/index.htm

Default wipers

That/'s pretty interesting that the 2 separate strains are caused by inverse sexual fertilization (sunshine versus wiper bass).

I lived in Southern California and worked for MWD on a wildlife reserve during the construction of Diamond Valley Lake.

I fished Lake Skinner for striped bass 200-300 days a year for 6 years.

Not too far from where I lived (on a wildlife reserve adjacent to the reservoir) there were several duck hunting clubs which had wipers in their ponds and sloughs. They were stocked.

I believe Lake Elsinore also had small populations of sustaining Wipers in it.

The hybrids are ideal for landlocked situations in warmer climates because white bass eat voraciously/grow faster and can tolerate warmer (40-90 deg. F)/less oxygenated water than stripers.

It's interesting to note that unlike most hybridized species... they can spawn in the wild. They can't interbreed though they need either a striper or a white bass to mate with.

No too many wipers running around here. We need more rain@!

M