Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee River update

Default Truckee River update

Fished the Truckee Fiday and Sat. mid morn till afternoon. The best thing I can say is GET UP THERE ! green drake nymphs with a baetis or a mighty may trailer. A couple guys were doing well on crayfish patterns with a #18 or 20 micro maytrailer.
    We landed a lot of fish in the 14-16" range all were fat and colorful. If my camera comes out of the freezer and works I'll post pics
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Default What's the latest on the Truckee

How is the Truckee fishing as of the 28th. Hate to waist $120 in gas if it's bunk. I'm sure it's pretty good right now...thanks

Default Re: What's the latest on the Truckee

Quote Originally Posted by esummers
    How is the Truckee fishing as of the 28th. Hate to waist $120 in gas if it's bunk. I'm sure it's pretty good right now...thanks

I am not sure, but I dont think the Truckee is ever a sure thing!! I bet if you asked Ralph Cutter, he would tell you the were weeks when it was "on fire" but he only caught 3 or 4 fish, fishing the whole day. It is one tough SOB

Three of us fished the Truckee on Monday and we all did really well. The key was making sure that your fly gets down to the fish, make sure to use enough weight.

The Truckee is probably the toughest "trophy" trout river I have ever fished. An average day yields 1 to 2 fish for most anglers I know and its not uncommon to get skunked. I have definitely lost more flies on the river bottom there than I have netted fish, that's for sure!

I was up there on Weds., 6/25, Did well on the LT early, the went to the Main T expecting to be humbled. But about 4:00 there were multiple rises, so I put on an EC Caddis and caught a few nice ones. A carpenter ant also works. I'm told there is a nice caddis hatch just before dark, but unfortunately, I couldn't stay that long.

Cheers,
    El Rey

At least the smoke has pretty much cleared out. Last week was horrible, it was unhealthy to be on the river with all that smoke. I went out for an hour and came back in with a headache and bloodshot eyes. Won't do that again any time soon.

Mid-June through July is usually good on the main Truckee River.

Many years ago Millard Fox of 'Fox's Flies' in Sparks, NV always recommended the 4th of July for the best fishing on the main Truckee River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default zilch

Quote Originally Posted by Foxyanne
    Three of us fished the Truckee on Monday and we all did really well. The key was making sure that your fly gets down to the fish, make sure to use enough weight.
    Well - I was up there all day monday - on the upper, and the lower, and saw not much of anybody fishing - and nobody catching anything - so go figure. A few more people were parked at the usuals for evening action, of which there was nothing to report then either.

A nice day out of the smog, but zilch in terms of action, at least for me and everyone else I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBill
    The Truckee is probably the toughest "trophy" trout river I have ever fished. An average day yields 1 to 2 fish for most anglers I know and its not uncommon to get skunked. I have definitely lost more flies on the river bottom there than I have netted fish, that's for sure!
    Sounds like even an average day is a waste to spend $120, unless $120 is like $1.20 to average folk!

I dont know, I grew up fly fishing the eastern sierra's, and even as a beginner I would catch 5- 10 fish a day on hot creek, 10 -15 inches. The gosh darned creek is like 30 feet wide and 2-4 feet deep, yet has something like 7-10k fish per mile! Talk about a HOT CREEK!!