Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 6-14-08

Default Delta 6-14-08

My son Stephen and I fly fished the Delta in the morning out of our inflatable kayak. (What else? ) Beautiful morning with almost no breeze -- just what I was hoping for, as he had never been out there before. I gave him a size 2 green/yellow deerhair diver to try out and it wasn't long before he was casting and retrieving it like a pro.

I took him to a long bank with varied cover (boulders, tules and lay-downs, timber, pipes, trees, etc.) where I was confident he couldn't miss and paddled the kayak while he made casts right up against some great cover and employed a pop-pause-pop style retrieve. Sure enough, it wasn't long at all when a bass toilet-flushed his fly and shocked him into, uh, yelling. Alas, he didn't hook up on that one but he did start getting into them. Then he got this big one:

Man, what a great fish! \/ As you can imagine, it put a great, sustained bend in his rod and was quite a thrill. (Actually, I think I was more excited than he was. ) I must say, he played it perfectly! =D> After that one, he decided he wanted to take a break and relax, so I started making some casts while he steadied the kayak. A little while later, I got this one:

I had a good time with this fish. Although it taped at over 18" long, it wasn't in the same league as his fish, which was just fine, as I felt he had earned and deserved the honor of catching the biggest fish of the trip.

After that, the action seemed to turn off around mid-morning, so we packed it in. The funny part, though, was when we got home and my daughter looked at the picture of his fish and then looked at mine and said, "Hey dad, I thought you said it took skill?!?" No matter how you slice it, a great day!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Wow - what a way to start your Delta Topwater career! Those photos would look great in Bill's warmwater gallery - Hairstackers Snr & Jr.

Congratulations, Stephen and here's to many more \/

Mike
    Bass Buggin' - Bad for the heart: Good for the soul.

Nice fish Hairstacker Jr. it is nice to see the kids out fish their dads.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Big Bass!!!!

Hey Mike,.... What a great Father's Day and time you must've had. Your sons smile says it all. Wonderful what a big fish will do for everyones mood.... If that keeps up, you'll probably be buying a second kayak soon....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Wow, what a great Father's Day fishing trip!

Good for you both.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Nice!!

Awesome fish!!!
    Thanks for sharing the story.

That's the way to get the kids involved =D> ! What a beautiful bass

Tony P

P.S. The kids always end up with the big fish of the day

Default Nice Fish

Now that's what it's all about!! Breaking in on top water!! It doesn't get any better.Great job
    Steve

Cheers to you and Stephen! \/
    Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!