Thread: !0 day skunk

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Default !0 day skunk

WELL<
    here is my skunking report from last week. I left on Saturday 5/31 at 4 am to get to castle crags. Stopped by Ted Fays and bought some stuff and BSed for quite a bit. Heard the Upper Sac was running high but might be worth a shot from Colusa down! SO, I head there the next AM. HOLY HIGH WATER BATMAN!

Fast flows, high water, no fishy fishy.

Spend the next day or so camping and drinking PBR and eating bacon and head up to Camp Sherman. Pull in MOnday eve to T-storms and a clear HIGH river, about 3 feet up the Met was. Never seen it so high. Nymphed for a while, i small whitie, and then pbr and bacon sandwiches for lunch. Walked up stream from the hatchery and found a pod of rising behemoths. Ran to the other side of the river and spent from 2 until 5 or so casting dries to have them come up, and sometime physically move the fly with their snout, and then eat the green drake next to my fly. BASTARDS. Beautiful fish though, so red and big you could hear the mouths close and see the flash of red. These fish were soming up from 6 feet deep to deour the big bugs. Some bogs were so big the fish literally had to do 2 gulps to get it down. AWESOME.

Went out at sunset for some bulls. Brought one up that chased my 6 inch articulated bunny leach, but no hook up.

Dinner, PBR and flank steak.

The next day, headed to the D. Pulled down Trout creek, CROWDED AND BROWN. sweet.

Talked to some people camping that said there were nymphing them up. Well, to hell with that right now, I head back out and drive to maupin. I make a vow to only throw big dries as I don't get to do that too much in Ca. I had three fish come up and turn on my on my first 10 casts, and then nada. OH, I did have a red winged black bird attack the hell outta me andd my salmonfly pattern for about an hour. I wish i had a pic of myself trying to swat the bird with my fly rod as it dive bombed my hat.

Lets see, headed back down to Truckee, fished above Truckee and below for 2 days. Thought, I am going to throw streamers and gett good at it, well, I can cast real good, still no fish.

lets see. Lotsa casting practice, Beautiful scenery, good friends, lotsa PBR, 7 lbs of bacon and 5 dozen eggs later (that is the truth). and no fish. Well worth it if you ask me.

If I could ever figure how to post photos here I would.

I got a chance to fish with my graduate advisor on the met and D. What a great time we had. He did not catch a fish either but it is nice to have our mentor mentee relatinoship[ develop into fishing buddies.

A trip to Chile is in the works.

Alright everyone, that is my little fishing adventure. I am going to go and hope my arteries do not clog over night.

Good luck on the upper sac this week. I was trying to figure out a way to go, but can not swing it until after the 4th of July.

Oh, Ted Fay fly shop up there is GREAT. Several packs of tippit, a new fishing hat, and plenty of good conversations later, Thanks BOB. Even if you are fishing the lower sac it is worth the drive to support the small local guy instead of the conglomerate that shall remain nameless.

Keep em tight

me
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Awwwwww , shit Mike -

I'd blame it on the Pabst . Bacon is actually good for you .

You have MY vote for THE post of 2008 - great stuff !!

(don't sweat it .... fishy fishy will be comin' your way soon , 'cause you put your time in )

David

I think the trip was good for your sole........sounds like a great adventure and getaway.

I enjoy your writing........fun to read.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........