Thread: Yuba, Pit, Lower Sac-oh my..

Default Yuba, Pit, Lower Sac-oh my..

Nice Memorial Day weekend trip. Fished the Lower Yuba on Sat. evening without much happening. Jumped in the truck at dusk for the short ( ) ride to the Pit. Uh.....yeah. New roads, pitch black, tired and towing a drift boat was, how you say... interesting? Made camp @ 2:30 and passed out.
    After repressing the memories of the drive in the night before, waking up in a beautiful forest with the river in earshot is a treat.
    Horrible instant coffee, gearing up for what seemed to be 3 hours and making our way down to the river produced this:

Good morning!
    Walking to the river, we crossed over several tribs. To our shock we spotted a healthy pair of rainbows spawning. The male was 18", female 15". The stream itself was 5 feet wide and inches deep. Here is a shot of the male at @ 5 feet away. A little distorted, but it was such a special thing to see I had to add it.

The days fishing was great. Lots of fish caught and a lot more lost. Smaller stones, hands down did the trick. So much beautiful water to fish, one has to constantly remember to move on and try another location.

As the day drew to an end, we hiked back to camp water and fished the evening hatch.

I fished a Yellow Humpy for the last few hours and had non-stop action.
    So much fun.

The next morning we headed to Redding. After setting up the shuttle and getting the boat ready, we launched at Bonneyview. Pretty good action right away. What a difference a couple miles to a new river make. The night before I was fishing a dry and suddenly I've got 12' of leader with a yarn ball, 1/2 pound of split and goofy looking flies on.
    "You really want me to tie on this 4'' brown rubber-leg thing?"
    Well, yesterday it worked. Off and on at least.
    Really pretty fish.

Anchored for a while and cast to a good pod of risers. Had two nice fish that both came off early.
    Back to the heavy metal rig and got a couple more to end the day.

Great weekend!

I love the Pit. That is some awesome stuff.

One of these days I will visit the Pit myself. Great report Slage, and that first pic is making me want to leave right now.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

This next month will be very good on the Pit River.

They are doing some flow testing on the Lower McCloud River but it might be OK till mid-June.

Upper Sacramento River is about 2 weeks away from being perfect.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

nice scott, glad you were able to get away and find some fish.

Wow, great report Scott, love the pictures. Sounds like you had a blast, good for you guys!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.