Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kienes Bass bug fest , May 3-4 . Who's going ?

The Umpqua 'Swimming Frog' is one of the most popular top water flies for LMB. It has a mono weed guard too. They come in size 2, 6 and 10 on TMC 8089 hooks.

We are using "Levitate" powder to help float these deer hair bugs.

This outing might have some Striper activity but it is mostly targeting top water LMB in May.

Most will probably be using a #6, 7 or 8 weight rod that is 8 to 9 foot long.

We recommend you over-line your fly rod 2 sizes with a full floating weight forward bass line or saltwater line.

You can use a butt section of 25-30# test and 6 feet of 20# test for a top water leader.

Most will be using a non-slip loop knot and pinching the barbs down on the flies. This way you can get the fly out of the bass without ruining it.

This info is not for the "commando" fly fishers, but it is more directed to people who are getting into this part of fly fishing.

We learned most of this from local Delta top water LMB guide Kevin Doran.

__________________________________________________ ______

The best fishing should be from early AM till noon and then again from 3pm till dark, according to KD and Jerry N.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Paul and Robin in the Striper Piper

We'll be out there Saturday till late... plan on stopping by for the BBQ 12-3
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Looking for seat on a boat Friday AM &/or PM for sure and maybe one Sat. morning, till the lunch festivities.

Thanks,

Jordan

I will be out there Friday evening, Sat am and pm... not sure about sunday. At this point I may have an open seat on my boat. (Still have to check with a friend who might come with me.) Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning a thing or two. I have a 17.5' bass tracker pro crappie or is that pro crapie??? Freudian...fraudian?

I did a pre-fish on Monday from about 9:30 till 2pm when the wind blew me off the water. I didn't fish in the area of the tract since I want to save that water for Saturday.

Water temperatures were still low, down in the 62 degree range. The first two fish just came up and sucked at the feathers on my foam head diver. Small fish as well. Once into the afternoon I did bring two fish to the surface, both about two pounds.

I also fished subsurface with a big black woolly bugger with a red head and a Puglisi Peanut yellow over white baitfish pattern. Nothing on the bugger but six fish on the Puglisi, biggest about three pounds. I was using a type three sink tip with a short head. I think I would have done slightly better with a little quicker sinking head. I'll switch over and do some more prefishing this Thursday if the wind doesn't blow me off the water.

I don't expect the water to warm much since this week with the weather forcast. I'd recommend that you bring some underwater stuff along with the poppers, especially if the water doesn't warm any more.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Hey Jordan!

Paul and I would love to have you out again Saturday, if you'd like to join us...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

I will have an extra seat in my boat if anyone is interested.

Hey Robin,

Thanks, see you guys Sat. AM.

Anybody fishing out of Lundborgs on Friday AM or afternoon with an open seat?

Jordan

I do have an extra seat on my boat. I plan on being there Friday afternoon 4-5pm and will stay Sat am and pm.

Sorry guys big change in plans! I won't be able to make it this weekend.