Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Rod Input

Default Inexpensive Rod Input

Looking to get another inexpansive quality rod (9ft 5 wt). Do you guys have any input on these:

TFO Signature Series
    Redington Redfly
    St. Croix Triumph

I currently have a St. Croix Premier (8wt) and a Cabelas Prestige (5wt), and a Pflueger or Fenwick can't remember (4wt). I like all of them, but that's probably because I don't know what I am missing. Any input would be great. Thanks.

I have the TFO Professional series in a 3 weight and a 7 weight and love them. And I plan on getting the 5 weight eventually.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Go with the TFO.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Another vote for the TFO Professional. A very good performance for such an economical rod.

Sage Launch series rods are great. Plus they come with a very nice rod tube and they are the same price or just a bit more than the TFO Professional rods. The color is beautiful as a bonus.

Another vote for TFO. Get the pro series. It feels like a much more expensive rod than it is.
    My life can be summed up by a fly cast. Strip our all you've got out, load the rod, shoot line and hope you don't scare away the objects of your affection.

yet another vote for TFO! I really like mine and I also own and fish all the expensive ones like Sage xp and z-axis and Loomis GLX. I like the looks of the expensive ones more but the TFOs I own fish very well.

Default Thanks for the input!

I have done some further research and have heard great things about the TFO Professional Series. I have revised the list and will get one of the following in the next couple weeks:

TFO Professional Series
    Echo Classic 1
    St. Croix Reign

Anyone have any additional input on the Echo or St. Croix? The Echo and the St. Croix also come with a hard case. Thanks.

Have only cast the TFO and the Echo and I much prefer the TFO action over the Echo (a bit too stiff). YMMV. I wouldn't let the rod tube be the deciding factor, considering that you can pick one up for anywhere from $10-$40, depending on how fancy you want to get.

You have cast these rods, right? If not, once you have the price range down, go cast them to see which you like best.
    -JD

The TFO Signature Series in 8'-6" 4 weight is outstanding. If you don't need a 9' rod, consider this model. It's one of those rods that work out given with the materials and design used, whereas, for example, the 5 weight may not be quite as 'golden'.

I also like the 7 weight in the signature series too. It's a beautiful rod for $99.