Thread: Anyone fly fish Virginia?

Default Anyone fly fish Virginia?

I am headed to VA at the end of the month. Looking for some decent fly water in the northern to central part of the state. I know we are quite a few miles away, but you never know.

Google?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mik, there are trout, but nothing like the fishing in California. I lived in the DC area for 20 years and I suspect you will be disappointed with the quality of the cold water fisheries. However, there is some great smallmouth fishing on the Shenandoah River. If it were me, that's where I'd head.

Going here is much better than Google. I would have to think the Kiene patrons are spread all over the US. Actually, I found some pretty cool sites on google for VA. I appreciate all the information.

I lived in the DC area for many years. For VA fishing, Harry Murray's shop is the place to check. He's located up in the Shenandoah Valley, and he has the best info for Northern VA.

http://www.murraysflyshop.com/

For trout the Rapidan and Mossy Creek are excellent, but smallies are the most popular in the Shenandoah. Harry can also direct you to other nice trout steams. Expect small wild brookies.

There used to be a nice fly shop in Arlington, called Anglers' Lie, but I've heard it closed. I don't know if there is another one. There is an Orvis store at Tyson's Corners, but I've never relied on their info--always super optimistic while trying to sell you high-end gear. But it might be worth checking out anyhow if you have the time.

I used to live on the MD side of the Potomac, so I fished Hunting Creek and Gunpowder Falls. There is a fly shop in Monkton on the Gunpower (I can't remember the name) that will have good info. It's 30 minutes north of the the Balto Beltway.

This time of year the forsythia is blooming. That signals the beginning of the Hendrickson hatch. Fun times.

And if you have the time, head to South Central PA. Carlyle, PA is centrally located for the Letort and the Yellow Breeches. These are premier blue ribbon fisheries. About 2 hours north of DC.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Cheers,
    El Rey

Been a long time ago, but I also used to live in the DC area. I second El Rey's recommendations completely. I used to fish the Rapidan a lot, and it was only about 90 minutes from DC. In VA, trout fishing is best in late April-May, before the heat hits! For smallmouth, it's better when it's hot!

Default Virginia

Aloha Mik, my sister lives in Roanoke. You got a good pointer to check with Murry's fly shop. You can fish most of the streams in the SNP. I fished the Rapidan and the Rose and caught little brookies to 14 inches. Most are much smaller. There is a little stream near Roanoke called Roaring Run that is managed by the local TU chapter. I have caught browns and bows to 20 inches in that stream, it is very pretty. Try a black ant patttern with a bead head. The warm water smallie fishing on the new and the james is outstanding. Try fishing a hellgramite, what an ugly bug. If you realy want some big fish, go to the Homestead and pay the $50 to fish their private water. I have gotten huge bows, to 25 inches and nice brookies and even golden trout on their property. The Greenbrier offers a similar deal, but I haven't fished there. If you don't mind traveling, the Cranberry in WVA is just a beautiful stream, even if most of the trout are planted. Southern Penn has some great water, Yellow Breeches was fun and Le Tort creek is a real cahllenge. Mossy Creek is the closest spring creek to those conditions, with big browns under the cutbanks. Good luck and have fun, try and avoid the thistles, wet wading all the way. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Thank you all for the information. Much better than Google. I am really looking forward to it and I will definitely report back.

Mik