Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sunfish photos and descriptions -

Notice the membrane between the lips and the face - much more promenent than on a Bluegill (looks a little 'tube-like' ?) . Redears also have a sprinkling of 'freckley' scales (Gold/Yellow) over the gill cover and body .

Pretty good shot Robin , considering that the fish was trying like mad to escape your grip !!

Congrats on your first Sunfish - they sure are fun !!!!

David

Here is a monster for the record books. My guess it is your typical bluegill.

So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V
    My guess it is your typical bluegill.

I call those bass bait

Default Bass Bait....

"America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I always called this a Golden Sunfish but then I read they were primarily an east coast fish and that golden’s preferred moving streams. Also read about a Common Sunfish that fists this description (Lepomis gibbosus) Looks like them when they are small but as they reach the size of this one they really don’t match to me.

I caught it on a 8wt with Bass popper which was surprising I had never seen one bigger then my palm in this pond

If you want some pictures of smaller ones I keep some in a 60 gallon tank aquarium. They all look pretty much the same.

Interesting fish , Bloodknot .

Looks to be yet another hybrid - part Green Sunfish (large-ish mouth , tipped bottom fins , and just a trace of neon Blue on the gill cover) , perhaps a part Redear (scattered freckled scales thru the body) , and some Longear Sunfish ( notice the extra-long flap on the gill cover ?) .

If you have a bunch of those close to home .... you might want to take a scale sample and send it to the DFG (Tristan ... where are you ?) .

Cool fish - thanks for sharing the photo !!

David

Here's how we grow 'em in Texas. This Bluegill tipped the scale at 1lb 9oz. I hope this helps with the database.

-dux

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...d.php?id=27886

**can't figure out how to post a pic...help?**

Holy Smokes Dux, that thing is huge!!!!!!!! Hope you still have all your digits intact.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.