Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunfish photos and descriptions -

I've been taking fish photos for ID purposes for a little while now...
    you might be interested in the following:

http://gallery.nanfa.org/v/members/Dave+Neely/

There's not many sunfish in the California section so far (only a Sac perch), but if you poke around, there's quite a few from other states, and in folders for other members. If you're into non-game fish then you might enjoy a few of these.

There's loads of sunfish pics in folders of other NANFA members on the same site -- but hey, I don't want to cut into your excuse to go throw some micro-poppers around!

cheers,
    Dave

Howdy Squawfish Dave, nice pics there. What do you use, a tank with a black background? We've got a bunch of natives that live up a little higher, have you done any work in the Sierra's? Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

That's just STUNNING work Dave !!!!

Who the heck is Carassius auratus ?? That fella looks to be a Barramundi !?!

David =D>

Sounds like fun! I've always wanted to take the 3wt out for a some fast and furious panfishin'!

This pic makes me glad I fish for trout though!

Those are cool pics dave!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

I'm certainly interested, especially in a trip whose purpose it is to distinguish between smallmouth and spotted bass. All in the name of serving the public good, of course.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Actually, come to think of it, I'd be even more interested in a trip that serves to photographically document the subtle differences between adult and senior citizen smallies -- I think there is a real interest in that particular type of information.

Sorry, guess I haven't had my morning coffee yet.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker
    ..... come to think of it, I'd be even more interested in a trip that serves to photographically document the subtle differences between adult and senior citizen smallies ....
    Another week or two , you'd better get up here

David

Another week or two , you'd better get up here
    You know I'm planning on it. In fact, I was looking over the 2008 regs a couple days ago for just such a trip and it seemed like many of the intriguing smallie waters actually open either at the end of April or the end of May. . . .

Back to the subject at hand, I think your original idea of posting distinguishing photos of panfish is a GREAT idea, as I wholeheartedly agree there's a lot of confusion out there. I'd certainly be interested in such a trip as well. I vividly recall I myself once ignorantly referred to a redear as a bluegill on the NCFFB until you kindly taught me the differences. (By the way, I've never regretted making that gaff, as I recall it led to us e-mailing and becoming friends in the process. )

In any case, I can just envision the planning phase for such a trip. . . "But I NEED to get a 3 wt. rod. . . for God's sake, it's for public service!!'
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee
    Who the heck is Carassius auratus ?? That fella looks to be a Barramundi !?!
    Thanks for the compliments, guys!

David, Carassius auratus is the common goldfish. They do get remarkably large out here. I was out chasing stripers near Franks Tract with a friend last spring, and we spotted several carp cruising across a flat. He happened to have a rod rigged for just such an occasion and one of the fish hit almost immediately, but once in the boat it was one of the biggest goldfish I've ever seen - carp have two barbels on each side of the upper jaw, while goldfish don't have any.

Ed, I use a couple of small tanks with a separate sheet of glass to "pin" the fish against the front pane, a piece of black foamcore leaning at an angle behind the tank, and a black glare shield around the camera lens to eliminate reflections on the front of the tank. Most pics still require touching up in Photoshop to get rid of bubbles, loose scales, bits of mucous, etc. I haven't made it to higher elevations yet, have only been in the Bay Area a year. It looks like I'm leaving soon, but I hope to squeeze in a bit more fish-catchin' before I go...

Dave

Dave, if you want to try and get some good native trout pics just let me know, I've got plenty of spots. How long are gonna be here? Humping way too much gear into bad places is my favorite summertime hobby. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.