No offense to Guppy, but my kids get bored quickly if they don't catch fish immediately or constantly when they go fishing. So I took the kiddies to a trout farm for some fast action still water trout fishing last week.

So of course, my 8 year old son landed a fish that was bigger than any of the one's his old man caught on the lower sac:

Big sister did pretty well too:

I was pretty surprised at how willing they were to handle their fish. That proud smile from landing a big fish made the long drive worth while.

I had both kids tie some simple flies with hackle feathers or buggers but these weren't successful. All fish were caught on nymphs or dries with gear or fly rods. Needless to say the proprietor was pretty surprised about how readily his fish bit on flies.

Since this was a trout farm, it was catch and keep. Much to my surprise, my kids were a bit upset and surprised that we weren't allowed to release the fish. As a Dad, there is no prouder moment than watching the sheer thrill they have in reeling in a nice fish. But I gotta say that their unspoiled, innate respect for those fish touched me even more.