2 7.41%
  • fish rite

2 7.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drift Boat?

sorry carl,
    i shouldve put em in too.

Wink

Never had a drift boat , but i think i would go with a aluminum one .
    Just like the idea a metal, when i am bouncing of the rocks !!!

Hi all! I have a favorite drift boat, with its unique characteristics, it helps me feel the adrenaline and freedom on the water, and for its maintenance and updating, I always find the necessary sailing equipment in reliable stores. If you are looking for a sailing store, it is recommended that you start by searching online through search engines to find sailing stores in your area. It can also be helpful to ask for recommendations from people you know who are interested in sailing. Local yacht clubs and marinas can often provide information on places to purchase sailing gear. Forums and social media can be useful for sharing tips and tricks among the sailing community. Finally, it's worth calling your local sporting goods stores, as some of them also sell sailing equipment or can direct you to the right location.

I've had wooden and Willie drift boats for almost 40 years (rafts too). If aluminum I'd vote for a Willie boat although there are plenty of very good boats out there.

So far easiest back rowing was my clack eddy, for layout stability tracking my Adipose is pretty money. Interesting about the Freestone, looked for it and can only come up with my old NRS freestone boat which was a great boat. Harping on NRS to bring this boat back as pvc heat welded. I am working with a company right now that is building a full carbon fiber drift boat inside and out and will have carbon kevlar bottom. Its freakin trick. Hoping to have it around Xmas time. This boat will be at the ISE Sac show and I do believe we have chatted about the Pleasanton show as well. 300lbs rigged ready to fish. They are going to make a raft frame model that weights about 200lbs as well.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Don't know about a carbon fiber drift boat. While extremely light, carbon fiber can't take a hit very well. I'd imagine it would be a dream to row due to it's low weight, but durability might be questionable.

To be fair and give bbenefit of doubt; He said lower portion is kevlar. Kevlar is used in tactical vests, so it does take shock/impact well. One other avenue; basalt fiber is very light and very strong. It might work well also. i

Yup you are right McFish, Carbon Kevlar bottom, same stuff they make tactical vest out of and will take a beating from any rock you hit. The bottom will also have a wetlanders type bottom to help slide over rocks too. This company builds carbon fiber skiffs worth 6 figures and they take a much bigger beating than a drift boat here in NorCal wlredband. I think if these guys can build CF skiffs up to 25ft long, then they know what they are doing and a 16ft drift boat is a walk in the park. Im just helping with layout details.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Call me skeptical about CF drift boats. The pounding a skiff takes from the seas is completely different than the pounding a drift boat takes when it hits a rock. Kevlar is great at absorbing impact but it distributes the energy throughout. You will have a dissimilar energy zone that reacts differently between the CF and kevlar layer, and it's tough to keep that zone intact since the CF must be bonded to the kevlar in some manner. This was the same principle that destroyed the tourist submersible on the Titanic voyage, and why CF has been widely rejected by marine engineers in high stress/impact environments.

One of my old friends who is a veteran drift boat user and guide says the "Boulder Boat Works" is his first choice.

https://www.boulderboatworks.com/

He says they are the lightest.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........