Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thingamabobber

Default Thingamabobber

I used these indicators this weekend steelhead fishing, they are hands down the best indicators I have ever used. No floatant required, and are great to cast in the wind.

http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/me...e=WW33TBSI0755

How much do they weight?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Literally nothing, imagine a balloon that size made out of plastic.

A second for that. They are awesome! Come is a couple of sizes, the little ones are pretty sufficient for all but the really choppy water. I love bobber fishing!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

I was wondering about those things, good to hear. Anyone else have experience with those bobbers.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

We have them in stock now..............in all 3 sizes.

They are goofy looking but are selling like hotcakes.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi guys- this is my first post. Interestingly enough it's in the new products category, as I'm not at all into the "products" side of fly fishing.

I too use an indicator like that that utilizes "trapped air technology", and the ones I use are about 1/500th the price. It's called a water balloon, and you can pick the up a pack of 100 at the dollar store during the right time of year. You can make them as small as pea or big enough to float the titanic, and they come in an array of colors to match light and water conditions.

The trick is attaching them to the line. My dad came up with the ingenious solution of tying the balloon around a small rubber "o-ring" and attaching the o-ring to your leader just like you would a yarn indicator. It's secure, it's adjustable it's free!

Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll show you what I mean as my description is probably rather confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again
    Hi guys- this is my first post. Interestingly enough it's in the new products category, as I'm not at all into the "products" side of fly fishing.

I too use an indicator like that that utilizes "trapped air technology", and the ones I use are about 1/500th the price. It's called a water balloon, and you can pick the up a pack of 100 at the dollar store during the right time of year. You can make them as small as pea or big enough to float the titanic, and they come in an array of colors to match light and water conditions.

The trick is attaching them to the line. My dad came up with the ingenious solution of tying the balloon around a small rubber "o-ring" and attaching the o-ring to your leader just like you would a yarn indicator. It's secure, it's adjustable it's free!

Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll show you what I mean as my description is probably rather confusing.
    How often do they get "popped"?
    The thingamobber is a real cool bobber

They don't get popped too often. If you're plowing through a forest of blackberry bushes there's a good chance it will get snagged and popped, but your waders won't survive either. Except for blackberries though, they pretty much never get popped. They do lose air over time so an individual indicator may only be good for a couple of days, but at a penny a piece, and only about 10 seconds to make a new one, it's not a really big deal.

Mike O Guest

I like my ultra-small red and white bobber. kinda reminds me of my roots, and I enjoy the stares of the ffers who are using the river detectives, or foam or yarn, etc. Works really well, too, just like you remember from when you were a kid. Adustable??? just pinch and slide...you want the fish to see a dark color or a light color??? Just flip it over.

In case you think they won't work...I caught hyper-finicky fish on the South Platte in Colorado this month...and that was after never really fishing nymphs (previous to this, the only fish I had caught on a nymph were suicidal).

Try it...at least you may stop calling it "indicator nymphing"....I like the bobicating tag, myself.

MAO