Thread: Pan fish help

Default Pan fish help

Can someone help me on how to fish for panfish on the fly. I have never done it, and would love to give it a try. If there is an article I could read or if someone would like to join me out at Cameron Park or some other pond it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using my 3 weight since it is the smallest rod I have, and the only flies I have been shown are usually foam type flies. But I know they don't always eat on top, so do I use an indicator and a nymph or something.

For the love of all that is good, please help me.

Gracias
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Besides the small foam poppers, small nymphs work well (sizes 14 & 16). Using your floating line use flies like Hair's Ears, PT Nymphs, AP Nymphs, ect. Cast out along weedlines and use short strips. No indicator is needed since you are always stripping.

Default Panfishin'....

How in the H__l did you ever grow up without fishing for panfish Your education is sadly lacking.

Nothing special involved. For Bluegill, etc., Pick up a panfish fly (McGinty,Black Gnat, any spider pattern, some poppers if you want surface fishin', I use a green sponge bodied spider with white rubber legs....). In the spring, fish where Eugene mentioned and don't forget docks, piers or shady areas around the shoreline. During spawning season, fish along any sandy shoreline and you can sight fish them.

A medium/soft action rod is better than the rods designed for dry fly casting but either will do. Fish with a floating or sink-tip line a 7'-9' leader to around 4# test and go fishin'. You can strip or use a hand-twist retrieve.

For Crappie, it's a bit different. Most will be caught in deeper water using relatively small minnow imitations and in colder water (early spring and winter are prime but can be caught anytime). Imitate Crappie jigs, too.

Have fun
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

When I pan fished growing up, we were using worms under a bobber. I just stepped into fly fishing less than a year ago. I just wasn't sure on the presentation with a fly, but now you both have opened my eyes. I will be fishing for panfish tomorrow after work. Pictures to follow.

Thanks

When I get to small impounds like Mather in the spring I have found that fishing an Elk Hair Caddis on top up against the bank will draw them right out. I sit in a float tube and they won't even panic the rest when you hook one. Other than that I would go with a small Matuka or anything close to an Oak worm pattern. Small Hairs Ear or A.P. Black's also work for me.

Dave

Hey Scott, when they start spawning hit your pet lake. I noticed someone had made a small sandy beach just down from where we launched, I bet the 'gills use that as a spawning bed. Small buggers as well as the nymphs that were mentioned will work. Also, a nymph under a bobber is quite deadly, just like the good ole redworm days. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Hey Scott,
    I'm still thawing out from our cold day on the North Yuba . Anyways, dry creek is opening soon, it is full of panfish, bass, and even squafish. I'll take you out if you want to go.

Charles

P.S. It doesn't open for another couple of weeks.
    If you see a family struggling in a store or public place with their child's strange or disruptive behavior don't judge, the child could have autism, like my daughter.

What up Charles, hows the family, I hope all is good. I am glad to see you finally thawed out, that was one heck of a cold day. Who would have thought there would be snow the day after Christmas.

and trust me, once we can hit Dry I will be there.