Thread: Sage LMB fly rod is new for 2008

Default Sage LMB fly rod is new for 2008

We have sold over 20 of the LMB rods already.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=83540

They are very nice and also affordable at $350 with a rod & reel case and a special bass line designed just for that rod.

We have only sold a few SMB but many of us plan on getting one of those too.

You can use lots of fly rods for bass and panfish though.

Be sure to overline thiose rods one or two sizes with a bass or saltwater floating line. We also have the new Sage bass line which could be very good on the right size fly rods.

Be sure to get ready because lots of the good warm water fishing will be in the spring with April/May/June being great months.

According to Gary Hinman, who is a top protege of LMB top water guide Kevin Doran, he caught them on top all summer in the Delta last year.

April though October can be good as long as it is warm.

If you want to get out with Kevin Doran this summer you should contact him because he said the early season was filling up nicely for him.

http://www.deltaadventures.com/Home.html
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Bill, Leo brought one of the new Sage rods out today and I took a few casts with it. The short rod threw my timing off for a cast or two but once adjusted for, 70 foot popper casts were a breeze. What REALLY impressed me was the Sage line. That stuff is like rocket fuel for poppers. I'm definitely getting two for my bass rods.

I haven't looked in the catalogues yet but Leo says he thought his line was a 330 grain and that the line also comes in a 290 grain.

Anything you can add might help someone make up their mind.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

We have sold over 20 Sage LMB rods already this winter which is crazy.

What I like is the fact that they are so light too.

Some other companies make shorter bass fly rods but the Sage is the best value coming with a rod & reel case and a speical fly line @ $350

We have only sold a few Smallmouth Bass rods but I believe that will change this Spring.

These rods and lines were developed buy Capt. Kevin Dorain, John Sherman and Jerry Siem (Sage Rod Co) in the Delta.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jerry,
    There are two models of the Sage Bass Rod. They are the Smallmouth and Largemouth. The Largemouth come with a 330 grain line while the Smallmouth comes with the 290 Grain line. I myself have purchased the Smallmouth and can not wait to get some topwater action this spring.
    Eugene

I haven't looked in the catalogues yet but Leo says he thought his line was a 330 grain and that the line also comes in a 290 grain.

Eugene, thanks, the only way I could make a line work in the past was to buy a popper line and the cut off the front taper. The Rio Bass line worked the best, the SA did not feed through the guides as well and the running line was way too thick.

What I liked about the Sage lines was that they cast well for short distances. While I bragged about the distance in my previous post, the real test is how well these lines turn over a popper on a short cast. Most of the time, delta fishing requires casts of 30 feet, sometimes even less. The standard lines do not work since the forward taper is longer than the cast.

I tried Leo's line up close and it does everything I want it to. I think I'll get the 330's and if I find them too heavy, order a couple of the 290's in the fall. I'll be throwing them on Echo 9' seven weight rods, a medium fast rod with a soft enough tip to be forgiving to the novice caster.

Thanks for the input.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

I was throwing the LMB rod all morning. I definitely handles big flies. My zara spook pattern is around 3" in length and almost and inch in diameter. It also has 25 turns of 4amp lead at the bend and on the rear part of the shank. This makes the fly sit head up in the water and when retrieve with a strip and jerk technique, ya can walk the dog. Could be a little heavy for the SMB rod. The small mouth rod is next on my list. I threw a number of times when I fished with KD last year.... a sweeeeet rod, especially with the underhand cast and into tight pockets.

I've been using the RIO Outbound tropical and cold water floaters on my regular rods and it just zips out the flies..... A different head design incorporate into the head portion.

Jay[/b]

Jay, when I was at Pleasanton I spoke to the Rio rep, not Jamie, some fellow with an Auzzie accent. He suggested I try the Clouser line instead of the Bass line. The taper is a little shorter and the quality of the line is to a higher standard than the popper line. Besides having to chop up the popper line, I had additonal problems in that by about 400 hours on the line it was pure garbage. Cracked all over and very rough in the hands. I was embarrased to hand the rods to my guests! The rep said the clouser line was a much improved finish compared to the popper line.

I also spoke to Tim Rajeff. He suggested I look at the AirFlow 40plus. Now that is a very interesting line. It has a very short head and has a black plastic shrink wrap where the forward taper ends and the running line begins. When you strip in you see the shrink wrap and KNOW you're pulling the head into the rod tip! In additon, the running line is very small. For novices, the indicator on the line would be a great additon.

Now I have a third choice, the Sage 330. I'm going to have to make some phone calls and make up my mind!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Rods

Jerry
    That 330 gr. sage will sizzle on that rod I built you last year.
    I wish the made that blank in a little shorter length.