Thread: Warning - Those of us with Trucks & SUVs

Default Warning - Those of us with Trucks & SUVs

Bill Kiene and I were out running some errands today. From one of the stops we made, we get back into my 1995 Toyota 4Runner and start it. It all of a sudden sounded like a Harley. I quickly turned off the engine and had a suspision to look under the truck. I noticed right away that somone had taken some sort of powersaw and chopped off my Catalytic Converter. Appearantly, this is a common crime to those with trucks and SUVs as it is easy access. These thieves are selling the medal to scrapyards making drug money. This leaves us with high repair/replacement costs. I will find out what the damage is tomorrow.

There is no fool proof way to 100% protect your Cat Conv. You can have it tack welded or use special cable locks to help protect yourself. Unfortunaly the thieves have found their way around these also.

Below is a KCRA news footage about this new crime.
    [youtube:10af1b86da]http://youtube.com/v/gbMdX0fyRSE&feature=related[/youtube:10af1b86da]

Sorry to hear that Eugene!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Geeeez! What Next

Sorry to hear that Eugene, but it almost sounds comical. "What the hell won't they steal next?"

Well, my first thought was ???? they probably used a battery operated Sawz-All (reciprocating saw) with a bi- metal cutting blade.

#2 That convertor stays red hot for quite a while, so after they cut it and it fell to the ground, they'd be wearing gloves in order to touch it.

Probably had a pick-up truck where they could quickly throw a hot convertor in to the bed without starting a fire.

I watched the video clip but couldn't hear what the value of the convertor was???? Is it full of copper?? or some other recyclable metal that can easily be sold??.

Are there a lot of muffler shops around selling "Used Catalytic Convertors"?

Probably only took two minutes at the most to cut and drop that to the ground and be on their way.

Interesting what they steal in bigger cities. Up here they steal walnuts and almonds.

Again, sorry to hear it,
    TONY

Converters have platinum in them usually. Maybe copper as well.

Default Convertor Value

I just found this while Googling:

There are three precious metals in this. The first precious metal is platinum, and platinum is valued at $1,298 an ounce. The second metal in this is palladium, which is $375 an ounce. And then there's rhodium that's $5,950 an ounce."

Apparantly this is a nationwide (worldwide?) thing. The article went on to say that the thieves only get a few quick bucks from the deal but that real money is being made by the scrap metal buyers who recycle this into big bucks.
    TONY

This is a crime that will not stop. They busted a lady that was buying and then selling stolen catalytic convertors and all she got was 3 years probation and had to pay something like $125 in retribution (sp), in the video she had well over 50 convertors. Until our goverment starts really punishing criminals, they have no reason to be afraid of getting caught. Our system is too soft on criminals.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

You should have been there Tony.

We came out from shopping for some electronics and when Eugene started his V6 Toyota Forerunner it sounded like a Harley motorcycle because he had straight pipes.

I got out to see if someone had hit him from behind and broke his exhaust system but Eugene was already talking about the
    Catalytic converter because he saw that video on TV recently.

They like pickups, SUVs and 4x4s because they are higher off the ground and they can easily get under them and do their work.

I too felt they used a new battery operated Sawzall.

I read on the web they get $75 - $200 for them used from recyclers.

What's the world coming to.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

As a followup, my 4Runner is now fixed. We found out they also stole one of my o2 sensors. Total cost for a new cat conv, 02 sensor, labor, and tax was $475. I could of got a nice rod for that. It could of been worst. If I went to the dealership, I would of spent over $1000.

Default Converter thefts

I have personal experience with the catalytic converter thefts and can tell you I don't believe they are being taken for the platinum. I at first also thought this was the reason, but consider the vast majority (almost 100%) are being stolen off Toyota trucks. Consider that all cars, vans and trucks made in the past 30 years or so have a catalytic converter. There must be another reason.

An automotive "core and recycle" business in south Sacramento buys Toyota truck converters for $150 each! A couple of converter thieves were caught in the act and were found with an old receipt for converters in their get-away car. They told officers that they were taking the Toyota converters because they are the only converters that can be unbolted on both sides, no welds. The business is being heavily investigated by numerous agencies at this time and its existence is no secret.

Steve
    It's a Chromer!