Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions for you boating experts....

Default A couple of questions for you boating experts....

It is illegal to discharge untreated sewage into any of California's lakes, rivers, reservoirs, or coastal waters within the three-mile U.S. territorial limit. Human sewage from boats can create environmental problems, including

A. human health hazards

B. contaminated shellfish beds

C. decreased oxygen levels in the water

D. All of the above

When paddling a canoe at night, which piece of equipment should be carried to help avoid a collision?

A. Flares

B. Compass

C. Flashlight

D. Binoculars

According to the Navigation Rules, which must be aboard a 22-foot powerboat?

A. A VHF radio

B. A searchlight

C. A whistle or horn

D. A GPS or Loran-C receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Carl BlackIedge
    What is this? A drivers test ? Who cares
    Geeeeezzzz , Carl !! A little cranky today ??

I'll give it a shot -

Question #1 - the answer is D .

Question #2 - I would assume a flashlight , though NONE of the listed can be used while paddling (need a third hand , right ??) .

Question # 3 - I'd guess A .

What do I win ??? BTW , Welcome to the board !!

David

Come on Carl...this is a boating forum. These questions are from a boating safety course which covers quite a bit of information regarding State and Federal laws, boat operations, accidents, safety, navigation and quite a bit more. The site is located at the following link:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/c...trodobject.php
    "This course is approved by the state of California and the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA), and recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard."

Successful completion of this course satisfies California's boating education requirements and may entitle you to a discount on your marine insurance."

I don't mean to be negative Carl but............................................... ..................

David thank you for the welcome. I can't believe how this board has taken off. I can remember when there was only one forum and the number of posts per week could almost be counted on one hand. Bill has done an outstanding job here - thank you Bill.

I listed the questions because I thought the way they were worded left a lot to be desired and after having gone through the material I couldn't clearly find the answers. Just for the record I did pass the practice final exam with a 94% but unfortunately the exam didn't tell you which questions you missed.

If you're curious to see how you'd do on this test - have at it:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/c...ting/final.php

Click on "Take the practice final exam"

Sorry David - don't have the answers or a prize...but for the record I answered the questions the same way you did.

Pete

Hi Pete
    Welcome aboard. A couple of years ago I took the U. S. Coast Guard Auxiliary's Boating Skills and Seamanship Course. It was very informative. Looking forward to hearing your fishing reports.
    Matt

Thanks Matt,
    I've actually been around for quite a while when Bill first started the board. You've got a good group of people here, many of whom I recognize from the other boards I've been evolved with over the years. I look forward to participating here in the future.
    Pete

Tristan I believe you're correct, number three is C - a whistle or horn. The VHF isn't going to do much good if you're under water after being slammed by some big old freighter. I did find this under the U.S. Coast Guard minimum requirements for recreational vessels..."Every vessel less than 39.4 ft (12 meters) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device. VHF radio's are not required equipment for small recreational boats but should be high on your list of equipment to carry."

Pete

Now that makes sense. I got the first two questions but wasn't sure about the last one.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Every vessel less than 39.4 ft (12 meters) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device.
    Does that mean I have to have one on my pram? I've been relying on 2 lungs and the creative use of expletives and hand gestures.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl
    Every vessel less than 39.4 ft (12 meters) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device.
    Does that mean I have to have one on my pram? I've been relying on 2 lungs and the creative use of expletives and hand gestures.
    All you need is one of those birds that was yelling at you when we were on the delta.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Um, life jacket?
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.