Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bright future ??

Default A bright future ??

I doubt it .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23130256/wid=18298287

The damming of the Colorado already destroyed the upper Sea of Cortez (along with overfishing) - now 22 million are likely going to go without water unless something drastic happens .

Why build in the desert ????

David

Who would have thought that gamblng would take so much water. I know when I gamble I prefer whiskey.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Why build in the desert? Because we can, and we can be comfortable living there, too.

We are victims of technological advancements.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/725.shtml

MN

Default Water Usage....

Hmmmm,.... Another bit of info for the pot. I mentioned water usage in the southwest earlier in this Forum under the topic of Water Usage. t seems that, in addition to those culprits already cited, we have to blame golf courses and their use of water to keep those courses green.

When you take into account that surface water supplies are dwindling and groundwater pumping is used to offset losses form surface supplies, it doesn't take a great imagination to see where all of this is going.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Re: Water Usage....

[quote="Darian"] we have to blame golf courses and their use of water to keep those courses green.[quote]

Golf courses in Las Vegas use recycled water and then that recycled water goes back into the sytstem for irrigation in other places. They are required to have an incredible water recycling system. It is state of the art. I saw an hour long special on the water managment on golf courses in Las Vegas and I was very impressed with the technology. So do not put the blame on the golf courses.

I read somewhere (back when we were in a drought cycle) that 80% of water usage is agriculture and industry and 20% is residential.

I thought it was funny that they are so concerned about us flushing our toilets and watering our lawns?

I think it's time to take a serious look at subsidized agriculture.

Nobody is subsidizing my small business. I have to make it or go bust on my own.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Re: Water Usage....

[quote="Scott V"][quote="Darian"] we have to blame golf courses and their use of water to keep those courses green.

Golf courses in Las Vegas use recycled water and then that recycled water goes back into the sytstem for irrigation in other places. They are required to have an incredible water recycling system. It is state of the art. I saw an hour long special on the water managment on golf courses in Las Vegas and I was very impressed with the technology. So do not put the blame on the golf courses.
    It's not just Vegas though. What about golf courses elsewhere along the path of the Colorado diverting water? There are more golf courses in California than there are rivers. Heck there are 5 golf courses here in South Lake Tahoe and we have a population of around 30,000! And I know they aren't on a stringent water management system as you've described. I definitely put a lot of blame on the golf courses!

Also, here in Stateline, we don't even have our water metered! You pay a flat fee regardless of use. So in the Summer months our neighbors water their lawns 3-4 times in a 24hr period. Frustrates me beyond belief.

I once read that another big problem with all those reservoirs on the Colorado River is that they have excessive evaporation because of their warm sunny climate.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Recycled Water....

Soooo,.... Lets see here. It's OK to take water from a river that is facing water deficits for irrigation of golf courses because that water is recycled.... Why not leave the water in the river/stream for a higher usage???

I wonder what the Navajos, Hopis, Zunis and other pueblo people who live in the four corners area would have to say about this subject????.... I've read about the water system in Las Vegas, too. I'm a big fan of recycling. However, when you consider that there're approximately 200 golf courses in the Arizona/Nevada area and that they're located in one of the most arid climates in the world, recycling is kind of a hollow excuse for poor water usage.

I'm not a golfer so I can say that I think using water to for irrigating golf courses is a colossal waste of resources when we're facing water shortages throughout the west. The sheer numbers of courses offset recycling as the initial water supply has to come from existing surface or groundwater supplies. Even recycling won't offset evaporation....

BigBill is correct about our own use of water. Just imagine how many golf courses are located in California.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The majority of golf courses use recycled water that is not able to be used for human consumption. Plus they also use special grasses that are drought tolerant. Just because the grass is green do not think that golf courses are wasting water. Do some reading on the rules and regulations that golf courses have to follow in order to keep there license. Yes there are some courses that do not follow these rules, but the majority of them have strict guidlines the abide by. If the rest of the world had the same guidlines that golf courses have there would be more water.

If you want to see a real waste of water, go check out the rice fields, they are on the list of worst offenders in California.

And yes I am a golfer.