Thread: Yuba river report 2-9-08

Default Yuba river report 2-9-08

Two warm days in a row really helped the Yuba river out.
    The water was still around 48 deg with about 3-4 feet visibility. The bug life was consistent all day long. Large stones on top did the trick and made for a great day.

Thanks for the report, and nice pictures
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Re: Yuba Report

Thanks. That sounds like good news. I'm going to give it a try on Tues.

Cheers,
    El Rey

I was there today (Sunday) above and below the bridge. The water is still very green. Quite a few people around but it didn't look like anyone was doing any good. There were some skwalas in the water, but few in the air. I walked a couple miles on both sides of river from 9am 'til dark. I tried every nymph in my boxes with nary a bump. For the most part, I saw few surface feeding fish. I did however find one little pocket where there were three or four good fish feeding in a current seam. I fished over them for at least an hour, probably more, but couldn't get bit.

There were the skwalas drifting by, and an orange/cream colored dun, and also a smallish double-winged bug with some bright orange on the abdomen which I first took to be a caddis but on further thought, may have been a little yellow sally. In any case, I tried patterns for all of these and was getting excellent drifts but got completely shut out.

The shadows were such, and the fish far enough out, that I couldn't be sure which bug, in what stage, they were taking but my best guess is that they were taking the stones. The rises were splashy and many times I saw the whole fish as it porpoised or slashed out of the water.

Needless to say, it was a bit frustrating. Although the Yuba trout can be pretty picky on top, I can almost always fool a few. I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this -- I wonder was I missing something? Anyone had a similar experience lately? One thing I can say is that the skwala naturals float really low in the water, and have a pretty slim profile. I had three or four different patterns for them but they all seemed too bushy and bouyant, no matter how closely I cropped them with my scissors.

Still, It was a beautiful day on the river and lots better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Ji

Jim thanks for the report. The "Y" can be pretty frustating at times, and has been since the high water of a couple of years ago. A couple of observations of mine in previous years.

The fish seem to take the Skwalas as they would a midge. Just a nose comes out of the water with very little disturbence. On the other hand when they were taking the mayflies, Pale Morning Duns and Blue Wing Olives they would make quite a splash.

Most of the fish I got on the Skwalas were within 5' of the bank, while the Mayflies were usually in a feeding lane anywhere from 5' of the bank to the middle of the river.

You are correct the Skwalas ride very low in the water with no flutteriing, looking like sticks floating by.

Here are a couple of my go to flies this time of year.

Skwala:

PMD:

Hope this helps.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Mike, it sounds like we need to get together and fish the Yuba soon, I'll call you.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Mike.

Thanks for the input. That Skwala looks good. Nice and trim. The traditional stone patterns are too flared at the wings and have too much hackle and hair to imitate the skwalas which, as you say, don't flutter and swim like a golden or a salmonfly. I like the pmd too - looks like the wrapped hackle at the front would cock it back and get the shuck into the water behind - some other patterns with trailing shucks will float on their sides because the shuck won't break the surface tension.

From your observation, maybe I was wrong and they were taking the mayflies - based on your experience with the rise patterns. I did offer them quite a few mayfly patterns including emergers...oh well. The area they were feeding in was near the bank on an outside bend with deep water right to the bank.

Only thing I didn't try was any soft hackles -which may have done the trick if they were on mayflies. Next time.

I don't really mind not catching fish. Its fun to watch them and try to crack the code - and it fires you up for the next time out, armed with new ideas and new patterns.

Jim