Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish and Game Commission to consider ban on American R.

Default Fish and Game Commission to consider ban on American R.

If we had more help with persuading our idiot Governor that DFG needs more Wardens (not fewer as he's trying to do) and with the Water4Fish campaign to restore our fisheries, we probably wouldn't be in this kind of situation.....

Due to low flows in the American, which is the direct result of the excessive pumping of water south of the Delta last summer and fall, The state Fish and Game Commission is set to consider a two-month fishing ban on the lower American River. If approved at the commission's February meeting, it would mark the first such ban along that stretch of river in years.

The ban would interrupt steelhead trout season in full swing along one of the region's most popular fishing spots

The Northern California Council, a branch of the national Federation of Fly Fishers, is asking for the ban during February and March, saying the unusually low river levels increase the opportunity for "snagging." Snaggers illegally catch fish by dragging a line through the water until a fish gets hooked, often on its body.

Read more here..

http://www.sacbee.com/fishing_huntin...ry/661086.html

Mike

Closing a waterway during spawning season is a good idea to me. There are plenty of other places and species to fish. And calling the governor or any of our goverment names is no way to look for help in a cause against something you fell is not right. Give me one good reason why they should leave any waterway open every day of the year. Just like hunting has season so does fishing, and these seasons are made for good reason. It is only a 2 month closure, and as for myself I do not like the idea of fishing for fish that are trying to spawn to further their species population.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I wonder if they will prorate my license since I usually only fish the lower A when I fish.

I don't like this idea, I would rather see more viglianteism for snaggers rather than an emergency closure.

MN

Default Meeting in San Diego to discuss closing the American?

Hmmmmmmmm, they are meeting on February 7th in SAN DIEGO to discuss the closure of the American River up here? Doesn't give our anglers much of a chance to voice their opinions....
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V
    Closing a waterway during spawning season is a good idea to me. There are plenty of other places and species to fish. And calling the governor or any of our goverment names is no way to look for help in a cause against something you fell is not right. Give me one good reason why they should leave any waterway open every day of the year. Just like hunting has season so does fishing, and these seasons are made for good reason. It is only a 2 month closure, and as for myself I do not like the idea of fishing for fish that are trying to spawn to further their species population.
    I may or may not be wrong in calling our "gummint" officials what I think they are in light of the actions they do or don't take. That aside, I think you missed the thrust of my comment. I was not arguing for whether or not we should be fishing during the "spawning season". (although if that was to become the law of the land we wouldn't be fishing for salmon or steelhead anywhere but in the ocean...
    What is disgusting (to me) is the total and absolute abdication of Public Trust duty by our Governor and Resource Agencies by allowing the decline of the fisheries to the point they're at and draining the Northern Ca. reservoirs last summer to fill the ones in Southern Ca. as well as irrigating the desert for Westlands Irrigation District Corporate Ag. welfare queens.

Also, as an aside, I think that this unilateral action by the NCC/FFF makes things a little harder to bring unity to the Allied Fishing Groups in the effort to save what's left of our fisheries.

Mike

I've found the worst snagging going on right below the D.F.G.'s offices at Sailor Bar. C'mon, can't they just point a camera out the window to gather evidence?
    I'm with Mike N. on this one. I stopped fishing at Sailor years ago because the snaggers were so blatant. When my fishing partner and I came up with what we considered a workable plan to cut lines and whack heads it was over for me and that spot. We'd have ended up in jail.
    Mike McKenzie, it is indeed a sorry state we've come to when we have to close a river for any reason instead of hiring a warden to patrol it.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Dumb and Dumberer

Perhaps I'm just a bit jaded after just buying a Chromer Card for the first time in several years, and the prime time for Steelies at hand. I think Mike has the right idea, more Wardens out there and a complete about face at Water Resources would be a huge boost to all the runs on the American. Seems like this short ban is a knee jerk, quick fix solution.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Default Closures....

I'm wondering if the NCCFFF has considered whether their request will change current water management practices and/or illegal fishing practices will stop because the river will be closed There still won't be any Enforcement Division staff available to stop snagging. Does anyone here, really, believe that water will not be transported to the Westlands and Metropolitan Water Districts in the upcoming year( ) or to other water contractors

I guess a closure is a band-aid but.... Oh well :\
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I believe your signature quote says it all!!
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Greed and corruption = no money for good things = California

No money left = no game wardens = close river.

Can you spell "it's all down hill from here"?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........