Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minor, Elk, Sutter Slough excursion

Bill,

It's a 12'3'' 1972 Gregor in really good shape. My dad picked the boat and galvanized trailer up in San Diego for about a grand. (Trailer is worth as much or more than the boat.) The outboard is a 2005 8-horse Merc 4-stroke (in almost new condition and under warranty until 2012 ) that he got for about $1200. (He was hoping to find a 9.9 cheap, but the 8 was too good a deal to pass up.)

The only problem with the boat was that the transom braces were cracked. We found out from Gregor that they changed their design a couple of years ago to strengthen the transom to handle the additional torque of four-stroke outboards, so we sent it down to them for their $400 retrofit.

I had it out several times under electric power before sending it down to Fresno and it is a sweet little boat: stable enough for two guys to stand and cast at the same time.

I'm prepared for the likelihood that it won't get up on plane with two guys aboard with the 8-horse. It'll still be faster than the electric.

Dad is now a confirmed Craigslist junkie who is trying to figure out how to convince my mother he can afford to buy a bigger boat.

Scott,

I expect that the 3-gallon tank will allow a lot of cruising before it runs out. I'll probably spend more on gas towing the damn boat to the delta from Sacramento with my SUV than we will fishing.

Rodney,

Combining a private pond and wine-tasting is going to be a tough act to follow.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Hey Mike,
    My dad has a similar Gregor. I think his is 13.5 ft. He has a Honda 9.9 and on a good day with the current, he can get up on place without a passenger. It is a great boat. I have had it all over the Delta and it is a champ! We built a deck on the front with a casting seat and put in a floor and it's still really stable. Great boat to troll with as well.
    Have a good time, all the time.

Default Slough excursion

Well,

We spent all that time in January talking about a group exploration of Elk and Minor Sloughs in February.

So, now it's February, we should start planning.

We should probably start by finding out our "guide's" availability.

I'm currently open for any day on either of the next two weekends.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Default Availability

I'm available on the next 2 Sundays...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

The 17th is good for me.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

In years past I had a good report of a lot of smaller "Schoolie" size Stripers up in Snodgrass Slough feeding on top in March once?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mrs. Fins, Scott, Mike, etc.
    With the sun out, my thoughts start turning to fish! We need to set up a date for the "tour". I just got the combination for the lock at the "private pond" I want to show y'all so we just need to figure out a date. The family and I are leaving for Disneyland (Sorry Mrs. Fins, I heard you are a Disney Fan) on the 18th for the week. I could go Sunday the 10th, and then not until Sunday March 2nd or 9th. Remember this is a scouting exibition to see where we want to go (y'all will LOVE the pond!). The fishing usually doesn't start picking up in the Delta until late March or even April depending on the weather. This year we will probably have a ton of run-off which will slow the bite a little. By the way...I finally broke down and got the 7'11 Sage...I slept with it the first two nights I had it. Let's set a date gang.

I LOVE TIGGER!

I am available on any of those Sundays you listed Rodney... Let's see what the rest of the gang says.
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

I can't make the 10th, but if everyone else can, go ahead without me. Just take some picks of where I will launch my pontoon

On a side note I was at Disneyland on the 14th and had a blast, enjoy the weather.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let's narrow it down to March 2 or 9th. That way it closer to actual fish time. We could meet either at the shop (Kiene's) or at the Golf course in Freeport. Whatever date works for the group. I can haul 5 people in the van. Let me know what works...hopefully it doesn't rain in Disneyland!