Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: May 2008 LMB Outing @ Lundborg Landing!

Bill, Leo is free and he and I will fish Saturday. Leo will bring his El Salto pictures and will hold a furled leader clinic at lunch. I'm sure he'll bring a pocket full of poppers as well. He refuses to sell them but is is big into trading!

I'll bring some of my flip-flop popper heads, preshaped, and some tying materials and show how one is assembled. They are UNSINKABLE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, and catch lots of fish! Sorry HairStacker, they are NOT works of art like your hair bugs are. I'll also bring the rotary tool and shape some foam heads if power is available.

Since the event is going to be May lunch should be a fairly lazy 1 1/2 to 2 hour affair during the quiet part of the day, say, 1pm to 3pm. That's generally the slowest time of the day. Sometimes during early May though the bite goes on ALL DAY!

If you like, we can do the tying and furled leader demo while we're waiting for the coals to get right on the BBQ for cooking.

Of course, it would be great if others joined in and brought something to the outing that they could share as well. I'd love to see HairStacker painstakingly tie one of his trophy bugs!

If it's OK with everyone else, does the above sound OK. How about a definate time for lunch? Does 1pm to 3mp sound good?

For those coming, make sure to make an offering to the wind gods sometime during the week prior to the event! It doesn't have to be your first born child or your best hunting dog. Maybe just leave a BBQed rib on the plate un-eatten one day or leave the crust on a piece of toast!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Awesome idea Jerry. I will have my rv there again so I will bring some tables and chairs for tying. Plus you can plug into electricity there and I will have a kitchen for cooking needs. I was hoping to get some people to tie Friday or Saturday night around the fire with a drink or two. And if I can arrange it, I am hoping to bring a projector and show some fly movies up against the side of my rv.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

You boys have obviously never tyed outdoors before .....

David :P :P :P

Ah, David, how wrong you are. I even have a tiny vice with a wood screw for a base. It was designed by a friend of mine to be screwed into a log or piece of wood streamside. Along with it I carried enough dubbing, hackle, hooks and thread to tie nymphs down to size 20 and up to size 12. When I used to tromp the Sierra streams I used it quite frequently. The flies were not shadow box material but were fine for catching fish.

However, you're right. The wind can howl on the delta making not just fly tying but fishing impossible. Hopefully the fish gods will be merciful.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Good Jerry

I think this will be the best Kiene's BB fish-out ever.

Everyone is invited so don't miss this one.

Loooking back at the messagess I guess we settled on the weekend of May 3-4, 2008.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

We should have the best top water LMB fishing ever on this event because KD says that may is his favorite month for it.

We will have to set a time for the lunch break on Saturday if we haven't already done that some where back in these posts.

I'm really looking forward to this one...........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I might be the only one wanting something like this, but it would be cool if we could get some custom stitched fishing shirts with the date and location of this event, maybe even a bass hitting a top water bug. Just a thought.

Bill, I suggested from 1 to 3 for lunch since that is usually the hottest and sometimes the windiest time of the day. As I said before, I'd be willing to tie some foam popper flies and Leo can show how to make furled leaders. They really make the fly turn over.

Hopefully others can join in with their favorite, knots, patterns, etc.

I hope someone plans on firing up a barbecue. Last year I brought some Johnsonville Brats and they worked good with some condiments on a bun!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

No need for a b-b-q, some just needs to bring briquettes and we can use the b-b-q in the area by my rv, or if someone wants they can still bring a b-b-q. I will also have at least 2 tables out and I will bring what chairs I have, but people should bring their own chair. We can use the rv to prep the food for cooking, plus my rv has an oven, stove, and microwave.

I would love to see you tie up some poppers and I am still having a hard time making the furled leaders so I look foward to seeing Leo make leaders.

Great Jerry

Just got some info on that Saturday, May 3rd from KD. He said noon till 3pm would be a good down time for our group after looking at the tides.

Officially we will be cooking and socializing from noon till 3pm at Lundborg's.

http://www.lundborglanding.com/

By then the Delta should be prime.......yahoooooo!
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958