Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac. report

I did a drift today up high just to check things out. The water is not what I'd call prime. Still pretty colored up. Nonetheless, we managed some decent fish with one exceptional 24" hatchery steelie. Finally some signs of bug life too!
    Set! Set! Set! Yeah, there he is!!

How's the river lookin today?

I had to do some work at the Anderson boat show today but drove from Bend bridge up to Balls ferry and Redding to look for clean water. The best I found was green or milky green. Absolutely fishable, but not perfect. Cottonwood creek was still dirty on my way home tonight. I'm going to remain flexible with my clients tomorrow...meet early in R.B and scope the river again and make a last second decision as to which drift we'll do. I'd prefer (of course) to do one of my 'backyard' drifts!! If you come up, just take your time, fish it well, and have fun...the fish will show. Good luck!

Despite the north wind, we gave those trout one heck of a good tune-up over the weekend!! Nailed some steelies too. The river around Redding and Anderson is in good shape but Cottonwood creek is still putting 2000cfs of mud into the river. All of the gravel below the mouth has been rearranged in a big way.

Finally I got to fish for the second time in 2008 and got the skunk off my back for the new year.

It looked a little cloudy at bend on Sat so I went up to Bonnyview and launched my jon boat. I went up river and fished up to Cypress. I was too chicken to shoot the 20 foot opening at cypress. I thought I could hit a rock with my prop, the engines dies, then I'm screwed. I got skunked except for a bout a 2 hour period from noon to 2:00pm. I hooked 6 landed 5 all 14" to 20". One of my buddies couldn't make it so I was solo. All my fish were caught on Big black super floss about size 4 and 6 and this Hogan caddis fly which I can't remmeber the name of. All were caught wading except for on I got drifting.

I had sunday morning free so I decided to try my favorite run between Bend and Jellys. The water was still a little cloudy and the wind was gusting at 30 or 40 mph, not the best conditions. I was able to dredge up 2 nice 16 inchers a squaw fish and another big fish that came off, all on my big blck super floss.

If i figure out how to post a picture I will put some up. see below

Caught below Anderson. notice the cloudy water.

[][/img]
    [img][IMG]
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg150/lynnwhite44/3-2-2008-21.jpg[/IMG][IMG]

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg150/lynnwhite44/3-2-2008-20.jpg[/IMG][IMG]
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg150/lynnwhite44/3-2-2008-15.jpg[/IMG][IMG]
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg150/lynnwhite44/3-2-2008-13.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Sorry for the technical difficulties but I think I got it now
    Another below Anderson
    []
    The rest were caught in Redding.
    [/img]
    []
    [/img]
    []
    [/img]
    [[/img]

Today was an amazing fish-fiesta! Before even leaving sight of the put-in we had 12 fish on. Ridiculous...but it got better. All said and done we estimated around 40+ hooked and 25 or so to the net for 1 rod. No exaggeration... Funny what a little bug activity will do!!

Were you fishing down low or up high?

I was up higher than normal the last few days.