Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac. report

I've fished the Bend area for 20 years, My mother-in-law lives on China Rapids. Needless to say I love to visit her. I've never seen a wild mountain lion in my whole 44 years of California living. That must have been pretty frightening. Where exactly were you? You can send me a personal eamil if you would rather.

Also how is that Cypress Bridge work? I've read some articles on it and it sounds a little precarious, a 20ft opening. I plan on being in the area superbowl weekend and was considering that drift but wanted to hear your opinion on the difficulty of navigating under the Cypress bridge.

I was also suprised to hear the water was milkey in that area. The flows are down around 5000 and bend bridge so I thought the water would be in better shape.

Me and my 2 buddies will be fishing the lower sac or the trinity or the klammath which river would recommend if the conditions stay the same.

That was actually the third mountain lion I've seen in the last 12 mo. One was about 60yrds. behind my house and the other was over on the Trinity. As for the Cypress bridge...I haven't done that drift in a while but when I did I was not impressed with the slot they left us...kinda skinny. Suck those oars in! It's not really all that bad, just take your time getting lined up. As far as water clarity, remember there are a number of tributary creeks between the Bend and the dam, it doesn't take much to dirty them up, especially with the on and off rain and light snow we've been getting. Right now there's plenty of viz. for those fish to eat. This time of year it's not uncommon for the river to be dirty and one or two creeks to be running clear. That mixed water (often quite clear) is sometimes the only place you'll need to go.
    Set! Set! Set! Yeah, there he is!!

As of right now pretty much everything below Anderson is chocolate. I drove over at Bonneyview on my way back from the Trinity and the water there was clouded up but not muddy. There were a couple of driftboats out giving it a shot.

Default river condition

How's the lower sac around bend/jellysferry? I wanted to make a run up there tomorrow/tues if the water clarity is good. fished super bowl weekend and had to fish around redding. Ya probably saw it at 44,000 at bend on super bowl sunday morning. My 2 buddies each got one on sunday, igot the big skunk. Haven't caught a fish in 2008.

I went out near Jelly's today...it was certainly worth it. There are still some steelies left...hint,hint.

Default lower sac

Thanks for the report. It made me even more upset that I could not make it up there. Beautiful weather, no one was probably on that stretch of river and the wife puts the kabash on my plans. I either gotta find a new wife or job transfer up to redding.

Default Re: lower sac

Quote Originally Posted by lynnwhite44
    Thanks for the report. It made me even more upset that I could not make it up there. Beautiful weather, no one was probably on that stretch of river and the wife puts the kabash on my plans. I either gotta find a new wife or job transfer up to redding.

I hope your wife doesn't visit this board and see what you put.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Maybe I will forward my post to her and get the ball rolling

The tributary creeks are on a hard drop right now...get ready!! Last week was simply amazing downriver (below Anderson) on my 'backyard drifts'. I plan on being able to fish down low again within a day or so. We are still seeing some nice clipped steelies and some wild trout that are built like pickle barrels! Just about as round as they are long. Plenty of great fish... period. The fish were on some absolutely magnum sized bugs along with king eggs. Yes, there are still salmon on beds. Any day now the fish will turn onto sucker spawn as the 'trumpet trout' have been observed moving into the shallows and tailouts. This is an amazing time of year coming up as far as variety goes. Remember, Redding isn't the only game in town!

If it clears up I'll be fishin your home waters on sat/sun. My drift boat is with my friend in Oregon so I will be in my jon boat motoring around. Maybe I'll see ya out there.

What does a sucker's egg look like?