Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac. report

Default Lower Sac. report

As of right now the sac is muddy-ish but coming into shape from Redding down. Most of the creeks were squirting mud but are dropping/clearing fast. The day before we blew out, the big trout were on the prowl. There was one stretch where we had several double hookups on trout in the 17"-20" range. Cold and nasty but a good day for the big ones. Strangely enough, no steelies. The fish were pretty much all on the "egg". A micro may and green rockworm also produced...not like the eggs though. There were a LOT of steelhead down around Chico/Colusa before the rains according to a couple of buddies. Hopefully those guys will push up here to add a few more big fish to the counts.

Hey, thanks for the informative and concise report …nice job!

The river has dropped into great shape now and the fish are pretty active. After some experimenting with a myriad of different bugs we narrowed it down to Legs and Eggs (stones or large king egg imitations). The steelies showed up as we hoped as well.

I did a drift Jan 2nd out of Red Bluff with fantastic results. 25-30 solid hookups with one rod fishing and literally no other fly fishers were out. We tried an assortment of the usual suspects in the nymph category with little success. I pumped one fish's stomach to see what I might be missing...there wasn't much. Random bugs at best...mostly larvae. Those fish just couldn't pass up the egg though. Either extremely washed out in color or darkish did the best. There were several Kings actively spawning in what I'd call 'unusual' water. Right now the river is totally blown out in this section but the tributary creeks have dropped like rocks during the day. And now I wait...

Default Re: Lower Sac. report

Quote Originally Posted by AllRiverFishing
    As of right now the sac is muddy-ish but coming into shape from Redding down. Most of the creeks were squirting mud but are dropping/clearing fast. The day before we blew out, the big trout were on the prowl. There was one stretch where we had several double hookups on trout in the 17"-20" range. Cold and nasty but a good day for the big ones. Strangely enough, no steelies. The fish were pretty much all on the "egg". A micro may and green rockworm also produced...not like the eggs though. There were a LOT of steelhead down around Chico/Colusa before the rains according to a couple of buddies. Hopefully those guys will push up here to add a few more big fish to the counts.
    Hey, what is the name of your guide service? You should put a little logo at the bottom of your posts with the name, your web site, and phone number. What is the phone number and website btw?

Thanks for asking. I didn't post anything because I was more into sharing some info/building a relationship with people through these boards than pushing trips. For the record I guide full-time out of Red Bluff and Bristol Bay AK. I own Executive Guide Service and AllRiverFishing.com

It looks like the Sac. here around Red Bluff is a day or so from being in good fishable condition. It's still a little high and cloudy...close though! Here's a few pics. from before the storm(now that I figured out how to post them finally).

Set! Set! Set! Yeah, there he is!!

so jason when are you taking me and my dad

Guppy, you guys will be going to the ISE show in Sac. again right? Swing by my booth (fly fishing building same spot as last year) and we'll go over the schedule. Have you Dad call me and I'll have free passes for you both at will-call.

I opted to leave the drift boat in the garage today and take the dog along for a hike/wade trip into the 'canyon' near Red Bluff. The trout action was surprisingly good for the milky-ish water conditions. No big fish, mostly 12-14". On the way out, Bella, our hound/lab mix briefly pointed (maybe our german shorthair taught her that?) and then scared off a mountain lion that had been slinking up the riverbank. Sort of unnerving...