Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jig hooks....

Default Jig hooks....

I'm interested in finding out if there's a significant difference between the 60 degree jig hook, Eagle Claw model 413, and the similar jig hook manufactured by Mustad (I don't have the model number on this hook). I've seen both on the rack at bait shops and they look almost identical. Anyone have any experience with these hook

I've been tying some of my Striper flies on the EC 413 but I don't have a lot of confidence in EC brand hooks. Over the course of the years, I've had many of them break or bend. I have a lot more confidence in Mustad brand hooks for economical usage and am considering dropping the EC hooks over the side.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Darian

We have some Gamakatsu jig hooks that are a little more $ than the EC 413 in bronze with a sharp point.

Let me know what the number is on those Mustads and I will get some in.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Jig Hooks....

Hi Bill,.... I've been trying to find the Mustad hook in a couple of catalogues (for the model number) and haven't seen them in anyones inventory. Now, I'm wondering if the Mustad hook wasn't discontinued and what I've seen on the shelves just haven't been sold yet....

Gotta go find some and get the model number from the box.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

Are you looking at the sixty degree or thirty degree Mustad. I have the thirty. I have the 30 degree Mustads and the 60 degree Gamakatsu. I stay away from tying on the EC 413. Just my opinion but then again, I still use the "J" hook. I sell my flies tied on the standard hook or the jig hook whatever the customer wants.

Jay

Hi Darian,
    I seem to recall a post by Mike McKenzie a while back complaining about the EC413 as well. I believe he uses the Owner 5317 jig hooks. You may want to check those out.
    Take it easy
    Matt

Darian/Bill,

I think the Mustad # is 34184.

Jay

Default Jig hooks....

Thanks for all of the info. It seems that my suspicions about the EC hook are justified.

I have Gamakatsu jig hooks and some Mustad 30 degree jig hooks, already but find the Gammies are too expensive.... Probably, the Owners are, as well.

Anyway, I ttied up a variation fo a fly tied on a jig hook by Dave Sellers and posted on Blanton's BB. It's tied with a tail like a Rasta pattern but has a body/wing similar to a Hollow Fly and a Sea Habit head.

Following is a photo:

This one is tied on an EC 413 hook....

Author unknown

Darian,

The hook is the cheapest part of the trp

Jay

Darian,

Very sexy tie............an photo.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Photo's....??

Jay,.... You're exactly right about the hook being the cheapest part of a trip. I use the best quality hooks for all saltwater trips after feeling/seeing how those fish pull.

Bill,.... My photo's leave a bunch to be desired as I don't use a regular camera. I've been using the camera built into my MacBookPro laptop computer. I've found that no matter how I edit them, when the photo's are uploaded to Photobucket, they appear unchanged. Soooo,.... It leaves a bit to be desired for clarity/colors, etc. For example, there's a black band painted on the end of the tail that is barely visible (like the tail on a Black Bass)

Sure is easy/convenient to use, tho.

Author unknown