Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feather Report

Default Feather Report

Fished the high flow section of the Feather River after work this week with a buddy. No, the fishing wasn't red hot and the salmon #'s are down, but we hooked enough fish to make us forget about the fact that the Feather is kind of a messed up place. We were instead focused on the next tasty bucket and the hope of another fired up Feather steelie!

The trick is to find actively spawning salmon. A redd or area of redds that have females digging and males ripping around is what you want. We covered a lot of ground to find this, but it was worth it. If you see a single female with an eroded caudal that is just sitting there, this is not the best place to fish, although it is always worth a cast if there is a nice depression nearby.

We fished real simple and clean. No indicator, split shot, and a single bead. Yes I peg beads. It works better. Just keep the bead about 1.5 inches from the hook. Go get em. Matt

Church of Wild Steelhead!

They look like they are eating well.

Thanks Matt.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nice steelhead, they're dark but nice sized. The wife gave you a permission slip away from the new baby I see, good for you.

Congratulations again on your new child.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Nice fish Johnson, now I know why you bailed early last week. It's about time you went out and fished...

Hey nice job, Matt. A lot of guys are having trouble this year on the Feather. What color bead did you find most effective?

James,

We were using the basic orange 8mm bead painted with two coats of "sheer" or "naked" nail polish to soften up the color.

I guess we got lucky? We found a couple good pods of salmon, it was almost dark, and hardly anyone out. Matt.
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

hitch the bead dont peg it!!!!

Way togo Johnson. Hope the family is well. Good luck on the upcoming trip with KD. How bout I cater your guys day and make your lunches. I can meet you downtown and pass off the food(even if you are a vegetarian).Let me know what think.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg
    hitch the bead dont peg it!!!!
    what do you mean by hitch the bead?

NICE fish matt!!!
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Use a logger hitch not a toothpick to peg the bead. Takes some practice to logger hitch the bead at exactly 1/5 Inches from the hook but it is worth it.

As the pegged bead moves closer to the hook, you risk the fish swallowing the bead and hook. If the bead moves further up the line, the hook snags the outer part of the fishes face.

At least Matt gave the good advice of keeping the bead 1.5 Inches from the hook.

Not to be too preachy...but I learned from the man who first put nail polish on beads for trout and made it popular.