Thread: Truckee River on Sunday

Default Truckee River on Sunday

I just joined the message board so this is my first posting. I had a fun fishing trip Sunday morning. I decided to take advantage of the "extra hour" on Sunday and left Granite Bay at 6:30 AM and drove up to the Truckee River. I was concerned about cold weather, but when the temp.
    in Auburn was 52 degrees at 7:00 AM, I felt pretty good. I underestimated what the climb in elevation would do. By the time I got to the river it was 18 degrees. Keep in mind, I'm normally a wet wadder, so I was really out of my element. Obviouslly I wore waders that morning! Once I started fishing I experienced something new for me; ice formed in the guides of my fly rod. I pushed on and was rewarded with a 19" rainbow after about 15 minutes of fishing. The trout's length was greater than the temp! That's probably not as good as shooting your age in golf - oh well. I only caught one other trout (about 12 inches), but the big one was very memorable. I called it quits at 11:30 AM and was home by 1:00 PM. The first fish took a Copper John and the second a Mercer's Epoxy Golden Stone. I also fished the Truckee Oct. 25 and caught 8 trout. Three were 16"-17" inches. I also caught one big whitefish. They sure are strange looking. Sorry that I don't have a photo, but I had my hands full just releasing that big trout in the cold water. There's no way I could have handled a camera too.
    craig

As a frequent viewer but very infrequent poster, it may not be my place but....welcome to the board! I have to agree that fall has certainly come to the high country with a vengeance. It's been COLD in the mornings. Sounds like a worthwhile day trip though! Catching a fish bigger than the air temp is quite a feat. To bad it wasn't summer!!
    Mike
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

Hey craigfalk, welcome to the board. I can relate with you about learning about temperature changes...being mostly a warm water/ weather fisherman most of my life, I decided to travel up to Dark Lake for some late October belly boat fishing last year.... in shorts! Fortunately I had my waders nearby. I think that was the quickest I had ever got my waders on. But being a fellow tennis player, we can handle it right?
    Have a good time, all the time.