Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Planning a trinity trip questions

Quote Originally Posted by bigtj

As far as a "banner year" that's a function of the hatchery.

I've been knida scratching my head on this fact for a while now. Comparing, for example, the Trinity with the Rogue. The Rogue releases large amounts of hatchery steelhead that return and enhance the overall steelhead numbers. This year, our runs are quite low (as compared to previous years with similar hatchery escapement). Our hatchery AND native returns are equally down this year. If runs are strong due to hatchery supliment, wouldnt that be more consistent throughout an ecosystem that shares the same ocean? Long question short...Why is this such a successful year for trinity hatchery fish but not other rivers with aggressive hatchery programs?

JAy

I guess this continually building hatchery Steelhead returns plus the Kings and Silvers that they plant are probably having a positive effect on the local economy on the Trinity River drainage.

__________________________________________________ _________

Maybe we need to see if our local American River hatchery has adequate funding?

__________________________________________________ __________

jbird,
    I with you. I wonder way the Rogue is not having big hatchery returns too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Hatcheries....

If I recall correctly, funding for all hatcheries was guaranteed at a specified level of revenues by the passage of AB-7 in California 2 or 3 years ago. Of course, that's assuming the budgeteers/bean counters don't decide to use the money for some other purpose (....similar to the misuse of Prop 98, gas tax, funds).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Heading up to Weaverville tonite to fish Wed. and THurs. Will post a report when I return on Friday.
    Get to whats reel

Quote Originally Posted by Finsane
    Heading up to Weaverville tonite to fish Wed. and THurs. Will post a report when I return on Friday.
    You better

Fishing is still excellent. If you are considering a steelhead trip this is the place to go. Hire a reputable guide and you can expect to hook 8 or more fish a day. If you want references on good guides, PM me and I'll tell ya what I know.

I fished the river around Junction City with Jason and George on Wed and Thur. The river is flowing at approx 300cfs. Our flies of choice were PTs, size 14. Our landing of fish was nothing to brag about, but we hooked 14 fish for the day and a half we spent working through the crowds of flyfisherman that have converged in this area. We landed 5, all hatchery fish. 4 broke us off because of mistakes we made, ( which made us better flyfishers as we discussed this on the ride back to sac) and 5 came unbuttoned.

Jason is brand new to flycasting and didn't hook up on Wed. I shoved as much instruction down his throat as I thought he could take and he absorbed it like a sponge. In the first run we fished on thur. AM his mends, (both stack and bump) were looking 95%better than the day before, and with some encouragment, his confindence had skyrocked. I told him to keep working on his mends and the fish would come. At the second run we stopped at( just below Canyon Creek) all his practice paid off. After 10 minutes and a quick change of flies, FISH ON. Jason fought this fish respectfully for 4-5 minutes but inexperence got the best of him and the steelie snapped him off. Jason didnt care, those four minutes made the trip worth while for him and that huge grin on his otherwise expressionless face made the trip for me. As we drifted away from this area, he hooked up a second time, though nearly not as long, but all the wiser.

George didnt get nearly the instruction as Jason did, but did a fantastic job. He has been flycasting 2-3 years but you would think 5-8. He landed 4 fish for the trip and lost 4 others. Again, I was outfished, and had a fantastic time in doing so. We learned a ton and will be back shortly.

Its very crowded up there but new fish are always moving in. If you want to get into some steelies, get up there. A weather system is moving in now and rain and showers are forcast for Sat. thru all next week. Target the river on the drop and it should be first rate. I talked to a firefighter who told me he has been fishing the T since 85 and last year and this year have been the best ever. GO GET EM.
    Get to whats reel

So my B.A.F.F. George rings me ( best amateur fishing friend) as says, “ How can we shed this amateur status. I tell him we need all the practice we can get. He says, “Where can we practice? How bout the A?” I say, “ The A would be good but how bout the T? Lots of experts up there that could probably teach us a thing or two.” We agree, hook up the boat, jump in the truck and are off to the T.

Wed AM we hit the water. It was so dark I’m not sure where exactly we are. Nevertheless, I tell George and Dan, (whom we met the nite before at the Victorian Inn,) “ We’re just practicing, we’re not fishing.” Dan asks why we aren’t fishing and George tells him its because we are only beginners and we need to get better. Dan says “Kool” and the lessons begin.

We all watched a tutorial on casting and mending on UTUBE the nite before and we all start practicing. Dan hooks into a hot fish right away. After an hour or so and countless discussions with all the boaters that drifted by, we decide to head downstream.

Dan is practicing better than us because he is hooking lots of fish. He then becomes the instructor and finally the rest of us start hooking up. Practice pays off! We continue to practice our casts and mends for the rest of the day and the funny thing is, we hooked and landed fish. “How many, you ask?” Not sure but more than the average human can count on his/her two hands.

After practicing on my drift boat handling techniques all day Wed, I feel I’m an advanced oarsman and need more time on the XP. George says to leave the boat on the trailer and hoof it. It’s agreed on and off we go. Its pitch black out so we’re still not sure where the heck we are. As the nite fades to fog we begin in earnest once again. We must be getting better because today practicing is much better than yesterday. (If that’s possible). The weird thing is we only see 1 flycaster all day long until the armada descends on us. Complete solitude on the T!

After all this practicing, we are begging the experts out there who showed or told us just how crappy of casters and menders we are, to up our ranking. We believe we are now Rookies! Is that possible? If we are still amateurs, maybe one of you kind individuals could give us a lesson or two. Thanks in advance from all.

I talked to locals and heard some amazing details, all of which I’m afraid to post of this message board for fear of persecution from all the experts that frequent. If anyone wants to know those details, PM me for info. I’ll give happily and freely, even to Winterrun. If you’re an amateur like us, get up there and practice your casts and mends. You’ll be amazed at the results.

No hero shots, no look at me pics, no proof whatsoever… Well maybe a little.
    Get to whats reel

GREAT

I'll PM you guys for the info.

The mouth of the Klamath is 13,800 cfs this Am and the Trinity at Hoppa is 1360. We should see a push by Wed. I might give the Weekend a shot being after Thanksgiving. Anybody else?
    Get to whats reel