Thread: American on Saturday

Default American on Saturday

I haven't seen too many reports so I figured I'd post one. Maybe all y'all are too busy fishing? You don't write, you don't call....

Anyway, yesterday afternoon's steelhead fishing was a blast. I got a LDR on my 2nd or 3rd cast while fishing nymphs. After no action for about an hour, and seeing the occasional fish swat the surface, I switched to dry flies. That was really the right call. Caddis were starting to gather everywhere and I landed 4 great half pounders with the biggest being a beautiful wild female between 18-20 inches. I love catching big fish on dries.... Sadly, no photos to share. I am not nearly coordinated enough to do that while fishing alone.

Thanks for the report A.(A?). Dries have been the secret weapon this year for those who've tried. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Great report!

Thanks A! Maybe you just need to save up for a water proof camera then. I wish I had one of them. Then you wouldn't have to be concerned about it getting wet while trying to snap a photo. But that sounds like a terrifc day fishing! What wt rod you use?

I use a 5 wt. for halfpounders. It might be a little more than is needed but helps pull fish out of the current. And, since I always release fish, I'd rather not dilly dally with them too much before sending them back on their way. What about you all?

BTW, Ed...name is Anthony.
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt

Thanks Anthony, I've been using a 5wt also. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Great report I have not been able to get out the past week. I was wondering how things were going.....Thank you

Went out to Goethe Park this evening. Saw rises as I was rigging up. Short story, caught one and ldr'd another. The one I landed jumped 3 times, way up in the air,I was laughing so loud I drew a crowd up on the bridge. The trout started out eating only mayflies, then switched to caddis as it started getting dark. The caddis came out so heavy they were getting under my hat, glasses, and a bunch even managed to get down the back of my shirt. When it got good and dark everything just shut off. Bugs gone and only a couple fish rising. All in all a very nice way to end a day. Ed

Yeah that's what I would be using as well. Another reason I use it because you never know just what size fish you might end up hooking up with sometimes, you know?

Thanks again for the report Anthony and Ed way to enjoy the hatch and the fish.

Lower Goethe is usually one of my favorite spots but it hasn't been too productive for me this year. Go figure. I'm thinking the next couple weeks should turn on now that the weather is cooling a bit.
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt