Thread: fishout report day one

Default fishout report day one

Man am I glad I made it this time. I found my way there by what turned out to be the universal search method, follow the directions until your within a mile of the place and then spend an hour trying to locate the right road in the dark and fog. Weather couldn't have been better, cool and foggy in the morning and comfortably warm in the afternoon. Fishing was a little off from the heady summertime action. Almost no fish were caught on top. Clousers saved the day for Scott and myself. We stayed and fished the slough right by the boat ramp most of the morning. Took a brief trip out to the next slough only to find nothing happening and returned to the close water and kind of cleaned up for a while on small stripers and some really nice Largemouths. Really great running into board members in a place like that. You bump into someone, at first you think it's just some stranger then the spark of recognition hits and it's like running into old friends. Truly enjoyed running into everyone out there today.( Except Lee S., you gotta watch that guy. ) Since I forgot my camera I have no pics, but Scott V. had his, he'll be down there tomorrow so we'll have to wait til he gets home and unpacked. David Lee you were sorely missed. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Screw this - I'm headed out tomorrow morning .

If the fog isn't too horrid .... I'll see y'all at Franks . If it IS rotten , I'll launch at Westgate on highway 12 .

I can't believe I had to pass on this for a BABY SHOWER

David , better late than never

Have fun David, drink a beer and catch a fish for me.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee
    l

I can't believe I had to pass on this for a BABY SHOWER

David , better late than never
    Boy I feel for ya David. The women of this generation want the guys around and I've had to go to a few showers myself. When we were of Baby Shower age the women alway said we had to get lost for the day. It was always a free pass for fishing.

Mark
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin

Mark -

I can't say I had a BAD time ..... it was important to the couple that I was there , and I actually enjoyed myself for the most part .

Why lie though ....... I'd rather be ON THE WATER WITH MY FRIENDS

Headed for Westgate in 15 minutes , I'll post upon return .

David

PS - if anyone out there makes it that far north , I'll be the fool in the skinny Jonboat tryin' to stay afloat whilst chuckin' BIG bugs

Default Day 2 too

It was a real good time. Weather Saturday was unbelievably nice and Sunday was warm and calm if not as clear.

Fishing was hit and miss for those of us operating under power. On Saturday, I think Ed and Scott did better than the rest of us.

Thanks to Paul and Robin, I caught my first 6 or 7 stripers on the fly--small ones, but fun. I also caught an 18 inch, 3.25 pound largemouth out in Frank's Tract.

I spent Sunday with Capt. Jerry. Got a good start with a 15 inch stripe while it was still cool and foggy, then spent four hours getting a nice tour of the Delta before hooking a 15 inch largemouth on top. Nothing else for me, but a great weekend nonetheless: met some great people and learned a hell of a lot that I wouldn't have if we'd just been sticking fish in the first place we stopped each day.

Now then, I just need to find the cash to run down to Kiene's and buy two more rods etc.....

Of course, then I'm going to need an outboard for my boat....

Thanks again to Paul, Robin, and Jerry for the hospitality.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

We lucked out with sunny weather both Saturday and Sunday.

A great group of board members showed up. Some for one day and some for both.

I think Steve V had the best fishing by just casting around in Piper Slough up and down from Lundborg's Marina in his pontoon boat. He hooked lots of largemouth bass and stripers mostly on Clouser Minnows.

Steve should have some nice pictures up here soon and Jay Murakoshi took some as well.

We had a nice group at around 1pm on Saturday at Lundborg's campground with a barbeque and lots of friendly BSing.

We ran into Lee S and his gal friend at the restaurant at Lundborg's.

David's name came up several times and was missed by all.

I think we will have another fish-out there in May of 2008.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Bill and all,

Sounds like a grand time was had this weekend out there . If it had not been for a band commitment for me Saturday night I would definitely have been there. I will certainly try to make the next such event down there. My hobie quest kayak has been hanging in the rafters for much to long now and really needs to get in the water for a fishing excursion. I hope to get down there in November.

I have had the pleasure of fishing with Jerry and Lee S. down there a few times and look forward to more opportunities with folks from this board .

Look forward to some pictures from the group, Best Wishes to all !

Bill

ps. I was very honored Saturday night during our gig to see Lee S and his pretty girlfriend Susan pop in to see us play in West Sac. Lee and Susan had fished that day and left the fishing fun you all were having to make a special trip up just to see us play. Lee, I am very honored that a fishing fanatic like yourself would tear yourself away from what you love to do the most to come up and see us play. Thanks Lee and Susan! Mayber Dana and I can get out fishing with both of you in the near future.
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

I was there in spirit , at least .

My pal Jared and I hit Westgate .... fished 'till 6-ish .

12 Stripes to 5 lbs. , and 5 or 6 Largemouth to 2 lbs. .

Sunny , very warm , no wind (!!!) , no asshole jetskiers/wakeboarders ..... just a great day . Sorry I missed out on hangin' w/ the crew

David

What a great weekend, not a lot of fish but just enough to keep your interest. I started on Friday fishing with KD (Kevin Doran) after he called me and told me "no wind, low over cast the bite should be good" So I cancelled my Apple class and headed norht to Stockton. One hour forty five minutes later, we were launching the boat. No bad time.

We did have some top water action from the stripers at various locations. We really thought that it would be a barn burning day. But then around 1:30pm a few drops came down, then a few more and then the sky just opened up. Like an idiot, I left the rain gear home because the forecast was light showers in the late afternoon. NO WAY. We called it around 5pm
    On to Lundborgs for a meeting with the group. I too drove an hour around in circles. I thought it was down by sugarbarge. I drove past that place three times. Then RING, RING it was Bill on the cell phone.... Where the heck are you. He tried too lead me to the entrance... You go back to the T intersection and then make a left and so on and so forth.
    So I started driving finally I got on to the right road and started driving down and Bill said " I think I see you" turn on your high beams.
    Finally I found the place. Got Bill's car situated and we headed to Brentwood and the Holiday Inn..... My way of camping.

All in all, I fished alittle bit and the rest of the time I have Bill up front casting and casting. I rowed the boat into position. I was the two arm strength trolling motor.

Had a great time and I will post a photo of Bill and Steve tomorrow after I move 10 yards of top soil that's being delivered

THANKS guys and gals

Jay