Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta 10-07

Scott, regarding leaders, I’m almost embarrassed to say, as I suspect I’m in the minority these days. I know a lot of well-respected guys like to use a 6 or 7’ straight piece of 20 lb mono for their bass leaders and for good reasons: you eliminate knots, which decreases the potential number of points-of-failure, and topwater bass are not leader shy. And I’ve seen some of these guys catch some amazing bass that way.

I admit I have yet to try such a leader and have continued (thus far) to use an 8.5’ – 9.0’ leader that is tapered from .023 at the butt to .011 or .010 at the tippet. I like the way it fishes, I haven't had any knot failures thus far, and I do believe bass can be line (as opposed to leader) shy, so I like the little bit of extra length. Nevertheless, I’ll get around to trying a straight piece of mono one of these days. . . it would certainly eliminate time spent futzing with leader construction and tippet-tying when on the water.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Re: Delta 10-07

Hey Mike,

Very nice report . I would like to try and get out on the delta with you one of these days if you would be up for that. I have a hobie quest kayak that should do pretty well out there and I love to fish for both largemouth and stripers. How often do you make it out there and do you primarily fish on the weekends? I can occassionally slip away from work during the week. Let me know what you think.

Bill
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

Hey Bill! At this point in time, I fish every Sunday morning, as I go to church in the afternoon, I work all week, and Saturday is reserved for my family. I did make special arrangements, though, to make the Kiene's board bugfest out at Lundborg Landing this weekend -- I'll be out there Saturday morning with the inflatable kayak. Are you planning on attending?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hey Mike,

Boy I sure wish I could be down there for the bugfest this weekend as it sounds like it will be a ball. Unfortunately I have a commitment with the band as we have a gig we are doing Saturday night in West Sac. I am tempted to zip down there to the bugfest for a few hours Sat morning but gig days are pretty busy getting stuff ready and I wouldn't really have much time at all.

Sounds like you have your priorities set very well. God knows a person has to set priorities with all the things going on these days. Right now I have a very busy weekend schedule for most of October but November looks like some opportunities would be there. I will be in touch as November gets closer so we can see about setting up a little delta excursion down there .

Thanks Mike, look forward to getting down there on the delta to fish with you !

Bill
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

Nice going there Mike. Good looking bass.
    Cheers, ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!