Thread: Burlap

Default Burlap

For a couple years now I have being hearing and reading about burlap flies. And now Darian brought it up on another post ... so here it goes ... please tell me more about burlap and burlap flies. You are using small ropes of burlap and thats providing the segmentation?? Or is it a dubbing .... Where can you get burlap ... assuming you dont have any extra potato sacks lying around. I have heard of burlap steelhead flies ... I've read about it before and now am seeking to know more. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Matt

I used burlap quite a bit when i started tying, because it was so cheap. I bought a couple of burlap sacks from a burger joint years ago in Vallejo. They were selling them for 10 cents each. I've tied flies twisting the burlap like a rope but also as a dubbing. To make a dubbing, I would cut the burlap strands into short pieces and separate the fibers. It sticks to itself well, so you could easily twist it onto your tying thread.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Default Burlap

OKayyyyy.... This is gonna be fun....

The Burlap fly has been around as a Steelhead pattern for a long time. As I recall, the Steelhead version was originally tied for fishing on northern Steelhead rivers (Klamath, Eel, etc.) using burlap wrapped as a body without a rib.

The originals had no Beadhead but some had bead chain eyes. Weight was optional or a heavy hook could be substituted for adding weight. As JT suggested, burlap can be separated and used as dubbing or wrapped in strands, as is. After completion, it can be ruffed up for a shaggy appearance. One problem I encountered with twisting burlap strands taken from bags was that the thickness of each strand varies over it's length and sometimes will break while tying it in.

The Burlap pattern has many variations as burlap comes died in many colors for hobbyists. During the late '70's, I saw Burlap patterns tied with a Jute body (and tied a few myself). Hackle and tail materials varied, as well. Some were tied with grizzly hackle and a Grey Squirrel or deer body hair tail, some were tied with silver Badger hackle and a Grey Squirrel or deer hair tail. Of course, a brown version could be tied using any brown hackle and brown squirrel or deer hair tail.

Burlap or jute can be obtained at most bait shops or hobby shops (like Michaels or JoAnn's) in addition to a burger joint. Not sure you can get an entire bag for 10 cents any longer but it's still relatively cheap. You can buy burlap swatches died a variety of colors at a hobby shop.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Matt,

Years ago, when I had good vision and was tying trout flies, I was tying a golden stone fly for the Trinity Fly Shop. The body was made with a golden color burlap that you could buy at any fabric shop. I would cut the material in large squares and then pull each fiber apart. The tail was made with goose biots, the body was golden burlap with 18 wraps of 4 amp lead. The wing case was granite colored turkey. I guess back then that's what they called real turkey feathers the legs were brown hen saddle.

I don't know if they fly is still used on the Trintiy today

Jay

Default Burlap aka. Gunnysack

I hope if maybe Frank Alessio is reading this post he will fill in the details about how the real Gunnysack fly originated going back to Ted Fay up in Dunsmuir and a Mr. Towndolly.
    TONY

Default Burlap....

Hey Tony,.... Wasn't a man named Arnold Aranas involved in development of the Burlap, as well If I recall correctly, he lived up in that area, too.

I have a couple of Burlaps tied in that style by Joe Kimsey in my collection.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks guys for the great responses. I think I am going to get some burlap and play around with it. The material seems like it would be really buggy.

This is a perfect example of why this board is so awesome.

Thanks again.