Thread: Los Vaqueros?

Default Los Vaqueros?

In reviewing this week's reports from the various boards and papers, I noticed a report on Los Vaqueros reservoir, south of Brentwood, that read "stripers have been active with most in the 12-15 pound range". Uhm, what?! Has anyone targeted these fish there? I've never noticed any posts regarding this lake. The reservoir opened in '01, and has an electric motor-only ordinance - maybe the reason it doesn't get much attention? Just curious.

12-15 lbs....... Very interesting!

Unfortunately this is the first I have ever heard of it.

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

I have fished this reservoir with conventional gear for trout. It not only has an electric motor ordinance but, you are required to use their electric motor boats, which you can rent for $50 a day (I think its half price on some weekdays). You cannot use any other forms of water craft or come in contact with the water. The stripers apparently entered this water source when they were filling it with water from the delta; at least that’s what I’ve heard. I have caught one striper while trolling plugs for trout, but I think they are really spread out. It may be worth a try throwing a clouser off the points or by the dam, but I think you would have more success with the trout or largemouths. The water temperature stays fairly constant throughout the year, keeping the trout active for longer than most lakes. The winds can be terrible so plan your days. If you give it a try let me know. Check out the website for more information
    http://www.ccwater.com/losvaqueros/fishing.asp

As notyalc mentioned, unless you rent one of their boats, you're walking the shoreline. Thus, it seems it has been mostly popular with folks who like to sit on the South shoreline and dunk Powerbait/nightcrawlers/marshmellows for stocked rainbows within walking distance of the marina .

In my opinion, at this time of year, assuming you own a watercraft of any sort, I think you'd be better off hitting the Delta or the Forebay. To me, paying $9 at the gate and paying another $50 for a boat just isn't worth it.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.