Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Trip North

Ben, as all have said beautiful photos. I am leaving to fish Hat and Burney Falls on Oct.15 so I am hoping for some nice fall colors and good weather.

I have some questions for you. I am a chicken when it comes to my D70 and water. I usually just shoot with my Optio. Do you scout an area and photograph it then get your rod and fish it or vise versa. Or are you just braver than I am and fish with your camera. Also do you use a tripod or a nearby rock or branch to steady your shots.

Again impressive work I can hardly wait the 2 weeks...Craig.

Craig, you can buy waterproof cases for d-SLR's. Simms makes one called the Dry Creek Camera Bag:

You should try a flexible tripod like this for your D-SLR, especially if you want to take pictures like Ben's, you cannot hand hold a shot with a long exposure like those.

Here's a picture:

I use a small version for my Optio, they make a larger version for D-SLR's.

They will bend around and grip rocks, or limbs or trees. I love mine.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have some questions for you. I am a chicken when it comes to my D70 and water. I usually just shoot with my Optio. Do you scout an area and photograph it then get your rod and fish it or vise versa. Or are you just braver than I am and fish with your camera. Also do you use a tripod or a nearby rock or branch to steady your shots.
    I am brave i guess, as i carry my camera everywhere i fish. I have a small lowepro bag that holds the d50 and one lens attatched. I first put
    the camera in a big plastic zip-loc bag, and then into the lowepro. I have fallen in a couple of times and it has been fine. My accessories are in a
    different plastic bag, usually with a beanie for some added protection against bumps.

If i plan on doing landscape shots, i bring my tripod. It is a Gitzo knockoff, but it is carbon fiber and very stable. Most of my shots were
    from 4 to 8 seconds, so a tripod is very nice to have.

For a couple of the shots i posted, you could get away with just using a rock. For example, there is a rock wall (short) to keep people from
    falling off the steep side while looking at Burney Falls. You could easily put your camera there and take nice long exposures. Then again, it is
    extremely easy to get to burney falls, so you could easily take some pictures with a tripod, and then go back and get your fishing stuff.

If you feel brave, i think adams suggestions would help relieve some worries of destroying your camera. You can always put your camera in a
    couple of zip-loc bags before you put it in the waterproof bag, just to be safe.

Good luck on your trip, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Ben,

Are you taking all of these shots in manual mode and setting all your functions for your shot or another mode? They are absolutely amazing!
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Awesome!

Steve's Digicams did a marvelous review on the D50 and you certainly backed it up.

Makes me want to delve back into photography again. Unfortunately, too little resources and time. I still got a box of FE and FM bodies. These are film cameras for you young'uns out there.

Really, really nice pics! You are a brave dude. My good stuff never sees the water's edge. I'm just too prone to dunking it. But it's cool that you're willing to spend fishable hours to capture the beauty of the area. Glad you found inspiration to head up.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Adam and Ben, thanks for the tips. I have one of those tripods for the Optio and I am going to bring it and try it out. I also am (hopefully if the fish gods cooperate) going to take an underwater shot. Never thought of a waterproof bag I have one for kayaking.

Probably not bringing my Nikon to the water I am just to clumsy, but I will try the hike down first to photo and back to fish. Maybe I can learn something about the river and improve my odds while photographing first. These next 2 weeks of work will be tough as I dream about fishing those streams. Thanks again...Craig.

Craig,

If I may make a suggestion...

Take adequate precautions. Hatchet Creek, Burney Creek and the Upper Sacramento are far kinder places to photographic equipment than the Pit will ever be.Two issues for you to consider: 1. If the Pit River isn't the most difficult river in the nation to wade, I'd like to hear what is. I haven't fished them all, but it's gotta be ranked #1 for difficulty in the state. You'll fall in, I promise. 2. The river has about 2ft of clarity. Most of the fish will be in heavy, oxygenated current or more accurately, just below it. Often, its river center. Difficult at best to get a good shot. But I thought I'd offer you my recent experience and wish you the best. I look forward to your posted trip and shots upon your return.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Ron,

When I posted a while ago about my Pit trip I mentioned that the wading wasn't as difficult as expected according to other's words. It is a wild place and you are forced to get quite deep and you will stumble a few times, but have you ever fished the Upper Sac?

You wanted to know a #1 other than the Pit, I'm telling you, that place is SO frustrating to wade in. Maybe that's what I consider when wading, the frustration level. The Pit isn't frustrating, just tedious. But the Upper Sac, in shin deep water you feel like you're on oily ice! It is really tough and a bit scary when you get out waist deep in there and its basically impossible to get any deeper than that without floating downstream a ways after falling...

That's another place where I would be extremely hesitant to bring any nice photographic gear!

I would rank the McCloud close to the Pit. There are so many boulders you have to be very careful to not to fall & break your rod/reel. I haven't, but I know people that have.